DC-5 head ...what to expect

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweede

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to pick up a DC-5 head and 4x12 recto cab locally at what i think is a steal. The only mesa I have owned so far is the rectoverb. I recently played a markIII and enjoyed it also. Being as the DC-5 is a 50 wat 6l6x2 head would it be in the same ballpark as my rectoverb in terms of volume? I would still need to use it at home without running my family out of the house. I have seen that the gain is maybe less fizzy than my recto? Any comparisons from the dc owners would help me a ton. I play mostly classic rock with some pushed blues and like to dabble in the metal when I have blown the froth of a couple. I dont gig so this setup may be a bit overkill but I hate to pass it by. The head and cab are very very clean. I have not seen it yet in person but the pics and owner vouch for its condition. Unfortunately I wont have a ton of time to inspect it on pickup other than give it a quick once over for functionality.

The DC-5 is a great amp. I picked up a head about 8 months ago and am really enjoying the amp. One work of caution: this is a seriously loud amp! I'm ok in the house on the clean channel but the lead channel can get over the top past 2. There are many posts on the DC-5 here on the forum. Some really good information.

can you get it w/o the 4x12? A 4x12 is just too much hassle in the house.

I'm running a DC-5 through a 4x12 recto cab, It can't be used in a family atmosphere in this set up. the DC-5 is 50 watt but is loud as all hades. there are several posts on the forums about this amp but my advice is to try it out and see whatcha think of it with the 4x12 but mine is a beast and i cant use it when wife and baby are even in the house. As far as the tones you are looking for, the DC 5 can do it.

The DC5 and Rectoverb are very different amps. I have a DC5 combo w/Electrovoice sitting on a Mesa oversize 1x12 3/4 back cab...fantastic rig. The DC5 has great cleans and the OD goes from classic rock to almost metal....w/great lead tones. I have played a Rectoverb and found the distortion to be "fizzier", and of course you get the Recto low end chug and thump that the DC5 won't do. The DC5 does have some nice low end wallop...it is not a thin sounding amp.....but it's not a Recto. You can get some great scooped tones on a DC5 but without the Recto chug I call them "almost metal". I greatly preferred the DC5 to the Rectoverb....much wider range of great tones without the fizz..........YMMV.

I agree with some of the previous comments....the 4x12 is a back killer. If you have to buy them as a package, sell the 4x12 and get a MESA 2x12. You won't regret buying a DC5.

Greg

thanks for all of the info. I ended up passing on the stack because the hassle of selling and buying probbably wouldnt have been worth it. I would have sold the 4x12 for somthing smaller but even the DC-5 was too much for my needs. Looking at a DC-2 or 3 now, that fits better. The head and cab could have been had for $1055 cash so it was a pretty good deal and showroom clean to boot.

I just landed a clean DC-3 head for $400 shipped... I'll update on my thoughts on it when I get it and have a chance to play with it...

Now i'm looking for a cab. I'm about to pull the trigger on a thiele w/ EV for $300 shipped...

Latest posts

Back