DC-5 combo what do they sound like?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vic

Reaction score
im kinda a noob when it comes to mesa amps but ive come across a dc-5 combo do they have a good high gain and is there any difference to the head.thanks

The DC amps are great. You can get really good Fendery clean tones and some of the meanest distortion available. Mine never loose their clarity, but I don't max the gain either. I usually run it at 7 or so.

If you are new to Mesa, the DC's are a great way to break yourself in. Not entry level by any means, but definitely easier to use than a Mark IV or Nomad.

If the price is right, get it. Keep in mind that you might need new tubes, so this should give you a tiny bit of bargaining power.

Big DC fan here:

2 flavors: DC5 and 10 for 6L6 girth, bottom, and chimey cleans, or the EL-84 loaded DC3 for more mids and grind, bit less bottom "thud" and tightness.

Personally I prefer the 5/10, but there are lots that love the DC3s. And were I to do it again, I'd get a head as my 5 is heavy, and the 10 is even more so!!

They are very versatile amps and cover lots of tonal ground. The sparkling clean is very nice and round with clear but never harsh highs. Dial in a bit of hair in the clean channel, though, and yu can cop superb blues tones ...my favorite clean channel voice, as it cleans up beautifully with a twist of the guitar volume. And the Lead channl can go from classic rock to metal. As I said, lots of versatility in these DCs, and the two discretey separate tone/gain stacks are worth the price of admission.

Edit: there's a DC5 head I just saw on ebay if you're interested ...no affiliation, just thought I'd mention it :)

Edward

thanks guys but im in australia so theres not much in choice but isnt it supposed to be mark series clean and rectifier gain but does it come close to sounding to any of these?

I think the cleans are very Mark series/Fenderish. You can get lots of chime out of them.

The distortions are more like the Mark IV to me. You can get as heavy as the Rectos (or almost as heavy) but they retain their clarity until the Gain is at around 9.

They sound much more crunchy than all of the Rectos that I've had, not as smooth. But....the Lead tones are much better and the amps seem to sing more when soloing.

I use mine to play anything from the Allman Brothers to Rage to ZZ Top and it has done everything I want very well.

If you back off of the Volume on your guitar, the amps clean up really nicely too, so you can get a nice crunchy tone for rythms.

ive come across a dc3 combo for fairly cheap and was wondering what they sound like in comparison the the other dc with the el84's

Hi Vic,

There are lots who like the DC3, so I won't speak ill of it, not to mention tone is highly subjective anyway. The bottom line, though, is that the EL84 tubes, along with the Celestion Vintage 30, will give it a much different flavor from either the DC5 or 10 with a 6L6 power section and MC90 speaker. I've also read the the DC3 also runs pretty hot ...don't know if that ends up being an issue, though.

This is probably why those who like the DC3s prefer them: because they have a diff voice from their larger brethren. Personally, I am not a fan of EL84s. I've owned an EL84 amp (Subway) and have played a few others, and the tone just isn't for me. They don't have the 6L6 "girth" or tight bottom, and the 84s also accentuate the mids to upper mids. I suppose if you prefer that so-called "british" grind, this is the amp for you. But I love the (again, "so-called") Fendery cleans with big bottom and round, chimey voice, not to mention a very tight/solid bottom which is rewardingly percussive when reaching into saturated OD.

Then again, you may just want to pull the triger and give the 3 a whirl, especially if it's at a good price (all the DCs retain their value pretty well). Again, all IMHO so take it for what it's worth. :)

Edward

:D

I've got 3 DC's:

DC-3 - Great solo voice, especially with the EV thiele cab underneath it. Lots of gain and sustain. Cleans are chimey, but can get lost with a loud drummer. These amps are way louder than you would think. Mine is Cathode Biased so it gets more sustain and breaks up much easier than it did before.

DC-5 - Good all around amp with lots of volume. More Bass than the DC-3, the cabinet is larger and the 6L6's have more thump. I prefer the DC-3 to it though. My DC-5 had the Mojotone BV-30V speaker in it, which is an improved version of the Vintage 30. Now it is a head, needed the combo cab for my Mark IV.

DC-10 - Much more Metal sounding than the 3. The cleans are thunderous, and the leads are very singing. It is harder to get a Classic Rock tone out of it than the 3 or 5. I have the 2x12 combo with C-90 speakers in it. It's definitely a keeper, but I think I like the Mark IV that I just got the most.

All 3 amps are great, especially for the price. I use the DC-3 at home and the Mark IV for band practice.

The 5 is for sale, and the 10 is my backup for the Mark IV.

DC-3 - Great for Blues & Classic Rock to 80's Metal. I can get some really great SRV tones and Maiden tones out of it.

DC-5 - Great for Classic Rock (didn't dig the Blues tones, but it might have been the speaker) & 80's Metal. These are great all around amps if you add an adjustable Bias pot so you can use different tubes.

DC-10 - Great for just about anything, but I can't seem to get a good Blues tone out of the Lead channel. This is the only amp I have (other than the Mark IV) that has Mesa tubes in it though. I could probably experiment with tubes and find a whole new amp.

It's just my opinion, but these are great amps.

Hi all
I've had a DC5 since 1990. It's been an amazing versitile amp. I play professionally playing all kinds of music all over the world. In December Bruce Springsteen commented that my stage sound was the best he's heard. He's a Boogie user, also.
I go after the Robben Ford, Clapton in Cream type vibe but I've covered E.J tunes and Satch tunes with great success with my DC5. I just put a set of JJ 6L6's in it and man, what a difference. Much more breath and dynamics.
Recently I've switched to a Fuchs ODS rig. I took the Boogie out for rehearsal after 5 months in storage and wow, what a great freakin' amp!

Hey, the Boss uses a Boogie?? Very cool...what Boog does he plug his tele into?

Edward

dcgdc5 said:
Hi all
I've had a DC5 since 1990. It's been an amazing versitile amp. I play professionally playing all kinds of music all over the world. In December Bruce Springsteen commented that my stage sound was the best he's heard. He's a Boogie user, also.
I go after the Robben Ford, Clapton in Cream type vibe but I've covered E.J tunes and Satch tunes with great success with my DC5. I just put a set of JJ 6L6's in it and man, what a difference. Much more breath and dynamics.
Recently I've switched to a Fuchs ODS rig. I took the Boogie out for rehearsal after 5 months in storage and wow, what a great freakin' amp!
I thought Springsteen used tweed amps?

Latest posts

Back