DC-3 Tubes - What to use?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlund

Reaction score
I just bought a used DC-3 and am planning on retubing it. I have read many of the posts here - but am still a little unsure as to what would be best. I am looking for a sound that is more classic rock than high gain - more santana than satriani, if you know what I mean. Anyway, Robert posted about a month ago that he really liked this setup: JJ84's in the preamp, JJEC83's in V1-V3, (NOS) GE 5-star 5751 in V4, Tung Sol Re-Issue 12AX7 in V5 and (NOS) JAN Phillips 12AT7 in P1/V6. He said he loved the tone, but that the clean channel output level was way too low.
I never did see that he got that issue resolved. Anyway, I know Eurotubes sells a retube kit for the DC-3, but that is all JJ tubes...
So, a few questions: Any comments on Robert's setup? Is that the way to go? I usually don't do a lot of switching between channels, but I used to have a DC2 that had the volume problem, and it is annoying...
Also, if I do buy NOS tubes, any suggestions on the best place to get them?
Thanks for any help you can give!
John

I've used the standard issue mesa tubes, a full compliment of EH tubes and a full retube from Eurotubes. They all sounded good. I'm currently running JJs for the output tubes, and my preamp tubes are JJs in 1 through 4, 5 is an EH and 6 was a balanced JJ that I ended up swapping out for a standard mesa tube. I found the balanced tube in the P1 to be a bit anemic. No volume issues for me whatsoever. Love this amp.

Latest posts

Back