DC-3 My first Mesa

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Musicman-I did send the seller an email today as it was listed in A+ condition,we"ll see what happens.Yea I'm finding more and more of the tones I have been struggling to create or reproduce.If any one want more info about what I've done feel free to ask.I decided that the MV mod was not for me,the lead channel became harsh and buzzy and the was a destinct volume difference between the channels,it also seemed like an overall drop in output but maybe that is just a perception in any case I went back to stock and like it as is "FOR NOW".,
I opened up the footswitch and held a couple different color LEDs across the switch terminals,they lit up when the switch was activated but I heard a clicking in the amp,must be a relay I don't know if there is more to adding an LED than just soldering it to the switch terminals?Well I'm just going to enjoy it for now until the rest of the parts arrive and I have customers and friends amp to fix.-Be back ina couple of days Rock On-Kevin

Teleman said:
I decided that the MV mod was not for me,the lead channel became harsh and buzzy and the was a destinct volume difference between the channels,it also seemed like an overall drop in output but maybe that is just a perception in any case I went back to stock and like it as is "FOR NOW

My amp came with the output volume mod already done so I did not have a chance to compare the difference. Most people have said they hear no difference in tone, but the knob's taper is just more friendly.

Looking forward to your next update!

Well-the Mojo BV30H and JJ medium gain tubes set came in.Yesterday I installed the speaker and tonite the tubes.What a difference,compared to when I first got the amp-I love It!! In the couple of short sessions I got to play it I was finding tones I have been struggling to find for years.I haven't really wanted to copy a particular players sound,but the players I like all have sustain,definition of notes and responsive touch that has eluded me.Properly setup and maintained this amp seems to allow me to achieve those things.I can't wait to bring it to pratice,I know the dynamics will be a lot different but this is first time I feel like I will be able to develop my own sound,I find myself easily playing what used to be difficult because I can relax in the music instead of being divided between my playing and the sound.
When I had the chassis out I noticed that some work had been done to it in the past.There are a few Sprague caps,where these stock? Has anyone here made any cap changes?I'm looking at a few caps that I may replace with siver mica but for now I am just going to enjoy it as is.Time to change my sig. Its alive and well.-Kevin

That's awesome news, Kevin! I figured it would come to life with a little TLC. PM Monsta-Tone here on the forums - he is the local Mesa authorized tech/DC guru. I'm sure he can answer your technical questions.

Let us know how it does in a band setting!

Great DC-3 rehab story! (Although, it also scares the sh!t out of me about buying amps online.)

What do you think about the Mojo speaker? I think Mojos are VERY underrated speakers. I've been amazed at my Mojo BV-60. I didn't have huge expectations when I bought it, but now that I've had it a while I wouldn't trade it for a V-30 or C-90.

GD_NC said:
Great DC-3 rehab story! (Although, it also scares the sh!t out of me about buying amps online.)

What do you think about the Mojo speaker? I think Mojos are VERY underrated speakers. I've been amazed at my Mojo BV-60. I didn't have huge expectations when I bought it, but now that I've had it a while I wouldn't trade it for a V-30 or C-90.

Hey how would you compare that Mojo speaker to Mesa's usual offerings? I'm trying to snag an unloaded combo shell on here so i'd need a speaker to go in it and want to try something different.

MusicManJP6 said:
Hey how would you compare that Mojo speaker to Mesa's usual offerings? I'm trying to snag an unloaded combo shell on here so i'd need a speaker to go in it and want to try something different.

The BV-60 is somewhere in the middle of the C-90 and V-30. Not quite as midrangey as the V-30 and seems to be tighter in the bass than a C-90. It really pretty dead on for what I like. I blend it with an EVM.

GD_NC said:
MusicManJP6 said:

The BV-60 is somewhere in the middle of the C-90 and V-30. Not quite as midrangey as the V-30 and seems to be tighter in the bass than a C-90. It really pretty dead on for what I like. I blend it with an EVM.

Have you tried it in a combo?

Unfortunately no practice this week but yesterday I did get to crank it up and rock.This amp loves my pedals-Ibanez VL10,Rt.66,AC+,Marshall Echohead or Dan Echo-I was a bit unimpressed at first because it sounded a bit too tight and boxy so I hooked up an EV12 that is in my HRDlx as an ext.speaker.That made all the difference,really added a 3D feel to the sound field.Now I was smiling man.With the rythm channel I could get all the sounds I like,The lead channel is a bit of a one trick pony,sounds kind of flat an narrow.Maybe I will need to spend more time with it or swapping tubes,I wonder if there are any mods to improve it.My friend Marty came over and loved the rythm sound.He said that channels sounds ten feet wide and the lead channel sounds about 2 feet wide.A good description.I am going to have to build a 3/4 back ext.cab at some point.More to come!!

Teleman said:
Unfortunately no practice this week but yesterday I did get to crank it up and rock.This amp loves my pedals-Ibanez VL10,Rt.66,AC+,Marshall Echohead or Dan Echo-I was a bit unimpressed at first because it sounded a bit too tight and boxy so I hooked up an EV12 that is in my HRDlx as an ext.speaker.That made all the difference,really added a 3D feel to the sound field.Now I was smiling man.With the rythm channel I could get all the sounds I like,The lead channel is a bit of a one trick pony,sounds kind of flat an narrow.Maybe I will need to spend more time with it or swapping tubes,I wonder if there are any mods to improve it.My friend Marty came over and loved the rythm sound.He said that channels sounds ten feet wide and the lead channel sounds about 2 feet wide.A good description.I am going to have to build a 3/4 back ext.cab at some point.More to come!!

I agree that the lead channel does sound more narrow compared to clean/rhythm, have you messed around with the GEQ? I have a dc5 with one, and that really opens up the lead channel cranked, although sometimes I leave it off just because it pierces through a mix without being harsh or biting. If I really want to be mean when im jamming with my band, I put the eq in an upside down V curve, with the mids all the way up, you can hear the guitar in your stomach haha.

I have used the GEQ,but it mostly seems that overall volume really matters.When I get a chance to turn up everything seems more full and lively,easier to reach for a variety of tones.I guess that I have to accept that not much sounds good at levels my family can live with.I haven't had a chance to pratice with the band yet but I am looking forward to it.

Latest posts

Back