DC-2 Suggestions?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoneattic

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum but a Boogie user for about a decade.

I have an older model DC-2 (Studio Caliber). I dig the rhythm channel and can get real nice smooth, punchy clean tones with and it sounds good with various OD/distortion/fuzz pedals (TS-9, DOD 250 OD, Muff Pi, DS-1,etc) with but I can't get a a sound on the lead channel that I like, either with or with out other pedals. It always sounds too scooped to my ears. I play a fairly wide variety of "rock", classic rock, grunge, some metal. Any suggestions on how to utilize this channel?

Also, from all of the reading I've been doing on the forum it seems that a lot of folks think that the DC series really needs an EQ, either factory, or at least in the effects loop. Since mine's a DC-2, there is no factory EQ so I was hoping for some recommendations on what might be good to try there. The only EQ I have laying around is a old DOD FX-40 pedal. Is a pedal adequate for this or do I really need a higher end rack model?

Thanks!

I've owned a DC-5 for@ 12 yrs. Never liked the C-90, but kept it in there. Finally a couple mos. ago I picked up an Eminence Wizard to add some high end. I've done a few gigs with it, but I've kept the EQ engaged at all times out of habit. I'm doing a party gig today and I'll try it without the EQ for leads, so I'll be set up for clean, dirty rythm (lead channel with slight scoop) and lead (lead w/no EQ). Anyways...my point was...ummm...try another speaker! And your pedal should be fine.

Both of my DC-2's had the Vintage Shadow, which I hated.

You can try just about any speaker in there, here is what I liked:
Greenback or Mojotone BV25M
Celestion Heritage or Mojotone BV30H
Weber Thames

I never tried a Black Shadow Celestion in mine.

I really liked the Mojotone BV30H and the Heritage 30. They are pretty close in tone, since the BV is a clone of the original Heritage 30.

They add top end sizzle, but don't get nasally like the Vintage 30 does.

Another thing you might try is turning the mids up on Channel 2.
Or
Make sure that the Contour is not engaged if your amp has this function. Look in your manual.

Basically, the Contour is the "V" shape on a Graphic EQ. If your amp has this function, but you are using a 1 button footswitch, then it will be engaged at all times. It only works on Channel 2. This may be why you only have a scooped sound out of Channel 2.

Thx for the responses.

I picked up the amp used about years ago and it came with a single button foot switch and no manual. I just looked and it appear to be a mono jack in the amp. I assume if it was supposed to have a two button switch that it would be a stereo jack. So I don't believe it has the contour. I've tried tweaking boosting the mids, lowering the highs, lows, etc, but can not get a tone I'm particularly happy with. I wonder if there is any tone stack mods that might help?

I'm not keen on swapping speakers because I like the tones I get on the rhythm channel, but that may be my only choice.

Monsta-Tone said:
You can also try swapping preamp tubes for the distortion channel.

Download the manual from Mesa's website. It should have a tube chart.

Do'h! I download that manual ages ago. I just checked it and it didn't mention a contour, or 2 button switch. It didn't have the tube diagram either, but I had schematics for it and they showed which tubes were in the lead channel and it looks like preamp tube 2 is the only one not shared with the rhythm channel so I think I swap a few different ones in there. I have some old AT7 and AU7s to try as well as a few different AX7s. Interestingly enough the schematics showed a 2 button foot switch, but that page of the schematics is marked DC2 DC3B. All of the other pages are marked DC2 or Studio Caliber/DC2.

I tried a 2 button/stereo plugged Fender foot switch and it changed channels fine but didn't affect the tone so I'm pretty sure my amp is pre-contour

The Fender footswitches are funky. They may not work with your amp.

Try this:
Pull the plug for your original footswitch out 1/8 of an inch. If it's a stereo jack, it should stop itself. This will essentially make the footswitch work with the Contour, instead of the channel switching.
Put the amp in Channel 2 with the switch on the amp.
Push the button and see if it does anything.

I don't know if they had a DC-2 without the Contour. I think that amp was called, "Studio Caliber", but not DC-2. I've only seen 1 or 2 that say Studio Caliber and not DC-2. Most of the ones that I've seen say both.

V2 & V3 should affect only the Lead channel. V3 also should affect the FX Return. Neither of them should affect Channel 1.

My amp actually says Studio Caliber, without the DC2. The schematics and manual from Mesa call it a DC2. I'm pretty sure it's a mono jack by feel plugging in the foot switch and from what I can see in the jack. I guess I could pull the chassis to verify it.

If your amp has contour there will be a 3 position switch to the left of your standby switch that is labeled, rhythm - lead - contour. If you don't have the correct footswitch you can get into the contour mode with the 3 position switch. If it doesn't say contour then yours is the earlier model without it.

Latest posts

Back