DC-10 owners step up

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottcrud

Reaction score
I'm really thinking about buying one, I play hardcore metal/crossover/punk. My main rig is a 1990 .50 cal+ that's been modded with 100 power and output trannys and 2x6550's. I keep going back to this amp, but would kind of like to retire it. It's real sentimental to me and I don't want it to get ripped off or break at a club. I've tried a Splawn, sold it, a JCM800 2203-sold it, a 3 channel Triple Rect-sold it, a 2 ch. Dual Recto-sold it, a MKIV-sold it, and two MKIII's-sold them, but wish I'd kept the Blue stripe. 2 Studio Preamps- sold one, still have one. I like the Studio pre better than my .50 cal, in fact I use the pwr section of my .50 cal with the Studio pre. I'm currently using a Randall MTS- RM100 head and not really digging it. I found this DC 10 and I'm really leaning toward it. What can I expect?

Thanks.

You can expect brutal, tight, and highly saturated distortion on one side with a fenderesque clean on the other. I have the head version and am so very happy with it.

Just don't expect it to sound good with the channel and master volumes below 1.5. Haha the settings suggested in the manual will sterilize you if you turn it up that loud!

Also, it seems that maybe the traditional Boogie sound isn't your bag- that is uless you are playing through a poorly matched cab forthese heads. You might actually dig VHT amps.

Well, I've been playing Boogies since 1991 and a few times in the last 6 years have tried to find something better, but I think I'm realizing that for ME, maybe there is nothing better than a Boogie. I know I like my .50 Cal+, and I know i like my Studio Preamp, and I liked my MKIII Blue stripe but sold it to fund a Splawn amp. Just didn't dig the Rectos, and MKIV ( too much twiddeling etc. I forgot about the rivera Knucklehead-sold, Sundown-A-100-sold. To be fair, I've only had the Randall RM-100 for a week and have not really given it any time, I've only had it at one band practice and it was adequate. ****, I've owned a lot of amps in a very short period. I think I'm gonna try and get that DC-10.

In my opinion, the DC series are the best amps boogie ever made. It's really a shame they stopped producing them. I have had my DC-10 head for as long as I can remember, and I wouldn't give it up for anything!!
It's a tone monster that works in just about every musical situation.

I have a DC-10 combo, and in my opinion, it's the nicest, most versatile amp I've ever encountered. Myriad lead tones, and the sweetest clean tone I've heard! I just retubed with JJ's, and they made a great thing even better. They didn't change the way the amp sounded...they just took what was already there and improved it.

My only gripe is that it weighs about as much as a Sherman tank. I'm considering Celestion Centurys to help lighten it up a bit.

Well, I've found one, but the guy has never shipped an amp before, the whole process has taken about a month and I might be losing interest at this point.

Want mine? I've been toying with the notion of moving it, and getting a DC-10 head and 2x12 cab, to help save my back a little.

Looks like I'm getting a head, just payed for it, now waiting for it to get here. I was wondering if the Clean channel breaks up at all, like AC/DC type breakup, where you could add a tube screamer to it for say a lead tone?

It will break up if you use the pull boost feature. Never tried it with an OD, so I can't comment there.

I've decided to keep mine, because I've fallen back in love with the sound after new JJ tubes. My back will just have to deal with it!

The DC series is the most practice, affordable and diverse amp MESA has made. It's almost a natural progression to go from the .50 Cal to a DC-5 or DC-5. The Nomads that replaced them aren't really worthy of the .Cal line so if you can find a DC buy it and hang on to it.

Latest posts

Back