DC 10 Owners... Holy midrange! Settings???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimeSignature

Reaction score
Hello, I would imagine this has already been posted somewhere... but I am not able to find it.

I was wondering what DC 10 settings sound good in your opinion for Channel 2 (Distortion.) I am mainly interested in Metal tones....

Please let me know what the settings are (5 band EQ included) and what type of cab you are using... Any stomp boxes for added distortion?

How do you get around the TONS of mids? Currently I have my mids at ZERO and when I really want to cut them I engage the EQ and drop the 750 EQ slider to ZERO as well. And it still has enough mids to cut through the mix!! I have the 2x12 combo w/ C90's. I tried the amp w/ a Marshall 1936 cab and it sounds awesome as well, a little less dark. I have yet to hook this bad boy up to my Fender Supersonic cab loaded w/ V30's.

My current settings....

Gain 7.5
Treble 3.5
Mid 0
Bass 3
Pres 5

Reverb 4

My EQ looks like the Classic V but not really.... with the middle slider as low as it goes... the 2nd and 4th sliders are above the mid point BUT the 1st and 5th sliders are just about at the mid point.

I also like running a tube screamer (first choice) or a Wylde Overdrive on the front end.

BTW, I tried a BBE Sonic Stomp in the FX loop with both knobs dimed on the clean channel using a PRS w/ Dragons. Sounds amazing!!!

Thanks everyone!

Joe

TimeSignature said:
Hello, I would imagine this has already been posted somewhere... but I am not able to find it.

I was wondering what DC 10 settings sound good in your opinion for Channel 2 (Distortion.) I am mainly interested in Metal tones....

Please let me know what the settings are (5 band EQ included) and what type of cab you are using... Any stomp boxes for added distortion?

How do you get around the TONS of mids? Currently I have my mids at ZERO and when I really want to cut them I engage the EQ and drop the 750 EQ slider to ZERO as well. And it still has enough mids to cut through the mix!! I have the 2x12 combo w/ C90's. I tried the amp w/ a Marshall 1936 cab and it sounds awesome as well, a little less dark. I have yet to hook this bad boy up to my Fender Supersonic cab loaded w/ V30's.

My current settings....

Gain 7.5
Treble 3.5
Mid 0
Bass 3
Pres 5

Reverb 4

My EQ looks like the Classic V but not really.... with the middle slider as low as it goes... the 2nd and 4th sliders are above the mid point BUT the 1st and 5th sliders are just about at the mid point.

I also like running a tube screamer (first choice) or a Wylde Overdrive on the front end.

BTW, I tried a BBE Sonic Stomp in the FX loop with both knobs dimed on the clean channel using a PRS w/ Dragons. Sounds amazing!!!

Thanks everyone!

Joe

If you've got the mids all cut out and it's still got too much mids you've got something wrong. I've got a DC-5 which should sound pretty similar and I can get a pretty good metal sound with a fairly slight V on the graphic and the mids at 5 and the bass cut in the pre and added back in the graphic.

Remember... Boogies have lots of mids. That's sort of the signature sound. Mids help you cut through in the mix.

Also, remember that your controls are interactive. Try this... Run your treble higher and your presence at zero till your basic tone is set then set your presence to taste. You presence is a power amp function while everything else is preamp so it all stacks. Dial everything in the preamp first (including the graphic which is after the preamp) and then your presence.

EDIT: I just noticed that you're playing an ENGL. A boogie is going to be a much more organic sounding (and feeling) amp than the engl. You might find you really dig it more as you play it more and more. I've owned all sorts of amps over the years and I've always got an old beat up boogie of some sort around as my go to amp. They're just great amps. But, they don't have that really produced sound that you're going to get from the engl.

My DC-5 is really mouthy and mid-ish when I play it as a combo. However, when plugged into a Marshall 4x12, it takes on a much different character. The closed back cab really helps the low mids to balance everything out.

eschoendorff said:
My DC-5 is really mouthy and mid-ish when I play it as a combo. However, when plugged into a Marshall 4x12, it takes on a much different character. The closed back cab really helps the low mids to balance everything out.

I agree. It could be the open back that you are hearing and don't like. Try some different cabs.

Have you played the amp in a band setting? You might decide you like the mids as you'll be able to cut better.

hmmmmm, I have a DC-5A and it is the most bass heavy amp I have ever owned. If everything mid range wise is turned that low something is weird. I am gonna ask my buddy who has a DC-10

Thanks for all the responses!

I play only at low volume in my house, I was able to cut the midrange a lot by playing with the EQ some more. Interestingly I found the classic V does not suit this amp well in my opinion.

The nice thing about the DC is that its hard to get a 'bad' tone assuming the settings for treble and presence are not dimed.

Sounds great through a Marshall 1936 cab, helps with the mids.

Back