DBX Comp + Mark IV HELP!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_EIT

Reaction score
Hey guys, the DBX compressor I just got in sounds GREAT. The gate is perfect, doesnt kill my tone and the compressor is good, not great but I think it's because I don't know how to use it properly. I set it to AUTO and it seems to drop my volume then raise it back up again???
Any suggestions as to why???
If you know any good setting for attack and release let me know
THRESHOLD is at 18db and Compression 2:1
Thanks guys

I have a 1066 in my studio, but your application is quite different. I'll take a shot at it anyway. It sounds like what you are experiencing is "pumping" where the comp squashes your signal then slowly releases. In looking at your settings, I'd say start with a much higher threshold (start at 0). If you are just wanting gentle overall compression, the compression meter should just light when you are playing your loudest. Start with a high threshold and turn it down until the meter just lights at your loudest. I'd experiment with different ratios and hard knee/soft knee settings if your comp has them. Read the manual a few more times and it will start to make sense. Good Luck!

(I'm assuming you have it in the loop, right?)

Latest posts

Back