David Gilmour using Mark series amp in the past

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogiebabies

Reaction score
That article was an amazing look at a serious gear *****. I loved it.
It did state that he used the MK I live and mixed with a 600 button Pete Cornish pedal board. I don't care what anyone says about Gilmore. He sounded like himself regarless of the amp and said more with one note than most modern players say with a million.

I think JP pays a wonderful Homage to him in The Spirit Carries On.
It's enough to make you cry, like Antoine's playing.

Boogiebabies said:
I don't care what anyone says about Gilmore. He sounded like himself regarless of the amp and said more with one note than most modern players say with a million.

I think JP pays a wonderful Homage to him in The Spirit Carries On.
It's enough to make you cry, like Antoine's playing.

+12357723916503

Wes

Boogiebabies said:
That article was an amazing look at a serious gear *****. I loved it.
It did state that he used the MK I live and mixed with a 600 button Pete Cornish pedal board. I don't care what anyone says about Gilmore. He sounded like himself regarless of the amp and said more with one note than most modern players say with a million.

Have you heard him on Sam Brown's "Stop!" album? He does a couple of guest solos. The tone is godawful, I mean it sounds like a badly dialled in POD (and those things don't sound awesome even when they've been tweaked to perfection). Nevertheless, you could tell it was Gilmour even without knowing.

You guys know whats goin down when it comes to the brit players.Gilmour is a note precision freak,its outworldly(if thats a word).It sends shivers down my spine(most probably you guys as well.not a big speed freak at all but then again not everyone has the aspirations to be John Petrucci.I always reckon JP get less respect than he should have a listen to the spirit carries on from scenes from a memory thats a total gilmour on steroids solo.I m a bit of a Deam Theater obsesive.
I wonder If gilmour ran his boogie through his vintage leslie!!!!!!!!!!!
ohhhhhh I think id drop dead if I heard that live....or employ helpers to steal them both.HAHA

I think in a solo, it's what the persons is trying to convay. Alot of JPs stuff is very easily understood and if could tell you one thing, it takes technqiue and a great musician to convay what they have in mind through their guitar.

If JP wanted to play a certain way, whether it be fast or slow , melodic or techincal he would have to first think of the melody and then play it through his hands, and unlike most of the great guitar legends that fall under" they can say more with one note then most can with a million" I get that , but in order to realize our creative visions it's essential that we develop craft of our instrument which leads you to the area of techinique. so if JP wanted to he could play any style and have any sound ( like david gilmoure) or anyone because he's reached his peaks. Just listen to the improv on Hollow years live at the budokan, the intro and the solo, you can hear the melody flowing through him and you can hear the untouchable beast within. therefore i think that puts JP way ahead of the game in terms of feel and stuff liek that IMO.

BoogieBabies, the John Petrucci's solo in The Spirit Carries On is my fav', the sound, the notes, and the playing, absolutly Fantastic !!!

David Gilmour is so expressive and says a lot by using the right notes (i.e. his phrasing and the way he digs in the note)

Not to criticize Petrucci and Satriani, but these guys totally remind me of guys that talk too much and too fast... without really saying much.... and with words that don't weigh much...but can impress a bunch of teens...Sure you must be talented to be playing so fast, but if you don't say anything, what is the point?

I rather have few notes that can tell me a story, make me feel it, rather than being bombarded by a series of sterile, machine like, cacophonic barrage of notes that don't mean that much...(but really cool to watch the guy play that fast;-)

Antoine said:
BoogieBabies, the John Petrucci's solo in The Spirit Carries On is my fav', the sound, the notes, and the playing, absolutly Fantastic !!!
You should take a listen at his solo on the Explorer Club cd, the song called Fading Fast oh man it the best JP solo IMO, his EBMM was plugged directly in his heart, with Van halen's "Push Come to shove" this solo is on the top of my list.

darkirish said:
Antoine said:
You should take a listen at his solo on the Explorer Club cd, the song called Fading Fast oh man it the best JP solo IMO, his EBMM was plugged directly in his heart, with Van halen's "Push Come to shove" this solo is on the top of my list.
Darkish, you're rigth, i've got the Explorer Club cd and that solo is amazing...
About Eddie Van Halen... Oh, what can i say... the man is a Legend for me, i started playing the guitar because of him, i like ALL his F******G Awesome solo (sure Push Come To Shove is a jewel) and his sound, it's umbelievable, my favorite guitar tone i've ever heard, EVH is a true genious, he did so much for the guitar !!!
Everyone may have a different opinion and i totaly respect this, but for me, there is EVH then the others, far away behind him, no matter the name you tell ( a little exeption for Greg Howe, which is my favorite one since the day i've discovered him in about 1992 with is first cd )
I'm totaly going mad for these 2 guitarists (EVH and Greg Howe), so please stop writing about both in this forum, otherwise, i will have to write very very long posts and make everyone hate me :lol: :wink:

david's rig when he got his first bradshaw unit had a mk III for lead's and fender clean's...to mesa 2x12 vertical cab's..this was some time ago..

Antoine said:
About Eddie Van Halen... Oh, what can i say... the man is a Legend for me, i started playing the guitar because of him, i like ALL his F******G Awesome solo (sure Push Come To Shove is a jewel) and his sound, it's umbelievable, my favorite guitar tone i've ever heard, EVH is a true genious, he did so much for the guitar !!!
Everyone may have a different opinion and i totaly respect this, but for me, there is EVH then the others, far away behind him, no matter the name you tell ( a little exeption for Greg Howe, which is my favorite one since the day i've discovered him in about 1992 with is first cd )
I'm totaly going mad for these 2 guitarists (EVH and Greg Howe), so please stop writing about both in this forum, otherwise, i will have to write very very long posts and make everyone hate me :lol: :wink:
Totally agree, people who criticize EVH should go back in 1978 to understand what this man do for the guitar world, peoples only seems to remember is tapping thing which in a way it a shame because EVH do so much more is real genious.

Driss said:
David Gilmour is so expressive and says a lot by using the right notes (i.e. his phrasing and the way he digs in the note)

Not to criticize Petrucci and Satriani, but these guys totally remind me of guys that talk too much and too fast... without really saying much.... and with words that don't weigh much...but can impress a bunch of teens...Sure you must be talented to be playing so fast, but if you don't say anything, what is the point?

I rather have few notes that can tell me a story, make me feel it, rather than being bombarded by a series of sterile, machine like, cacophonic barrage of notes that don't mean that much...(but really cool to watch the guy play that fast;-)

That's exactly what I think.
Rather slower, more melodic music than vai or satriani.

I have one those programs where you can slow down the meter of a song without changing the pitch! When I played McLaughlin's "Inner Mounting Flame" album at 25% I saw Buddah walk right into the room.
When I played "Dark Side of the Moon" at 300% I got out my Paco DeLucia albums and deleted the program.

Driss said:

It always confuses me why people group Satriani with players like Petrucci and Yngwie. Satriani isn't a particularly fast player (by choice), and I would certainly not pigeon-hole him into the shredder category.

Satriani's tone is very soulful, and even Brian May has commented on how soulful his phrasing is and citing Satch as one of his favourite guitar players.

I just don't believe you've listened to Satch's best work (pre-EOC). Listen to 'Always with me, always with you' and 'Morrocan Sunset' and be prepared to eat humble pie. ;)

i saw satch and his band and i was standing fornt row...some of the stuff that was a lot slower he just lapped up...i thik thats the sort of playing he enjoys the most..i see him as being more slow and meaninful than fast and stupid...don't get me wrong yngwie malmsteen is a amazing guitarist but in some cases alittle to fast...

i have seen vai and petrucci to but i think they still didn't have the same feeling as satch and gilmour..

not to start rant or arguments but satch does have all these qualities,plus he is a great showman...the right hand up to the nut thing is a genuine aid for stopping unwanted strings ratteling whilist doin some legato,I do it and I aint satch,most of the time in my bedroom where there is nobody to see and its not to be a flash ******* at all it is useful,

my all time fav. guitarist is master beck,closely followed by john petrucci,these guy's all have the tone,technique,feel soul,Ive heard all of these guy's recorded output and seen them all live,they are all masters,they just rely on technique as opposed to having a goos front person/singer

ohhhh dave gilmour is a god,seen him once...nice guy
Euan

Back