Dateing my MKIV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trickyrick

Reaction score
Whats up everyone? I am really close on giving up on my mark IV. It is just too thin sounding for me. I have replaced power tubes and the tone doesn't change that much. I am really leaning towards a roadster at this point. Anyway, I am going to list it on E-bay and I want to make sure I supply all of the correct info. The S/N is 011470 I know it's a B version. I am probably going to list it in the next couple of day's. I even tried some beam blockers with it, although it helped a lot it is still not the sound I am looking for. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You guys give up too fast on it. It takes time and getting used to how the little beast roars.

Try a 2x12 halfback or 4x12 with EV's, it won't sound thin anymore :D
Or maybe, we have another convert to the darkside of rectifierdom :twisted:

how much you plan on selling it for? i'm actually thinking about trading in my single recto towards a mark iv once i get my tax refund check, hopefully in a few weeks.

fpoon said:
You guys give up too fast on it. It takes time and getting used to how the little beast roars.

It's been over 6 months! Somedays the amp sounds great, the next uninspiring. I went so far as to build a widebody theile for it, got a vintage EVM12L for it ( Thickened up the tone a lot ) made some beam blockers for it ( They helped as well ) But I still find it to be too thin. I don't know, maybe my tastes have changed too much. I have never owned a recto because I thought they were one dimensional ( I am not looking for a pissing contest ) Then I spent an hour with the roadster, and it was so easy to dial in 4 different usable tones, it blew my mind. I spend way too much time tweaking the IV. I can get a similair tone out of the recto, but you can't even get close getting a recto sound with the IV. Please don't get me wrong, I am not bashing the IV, I can see the versatility in the amp and as I said when the tone was good, I could play for hours. It is just too fickle for me. I used to own a MKIIC, not the + Just a stock C. Looking back, selling that amp was the biggest mistake I ever made. I owned it for 12 years never really knowing what I had. I miss that amp. Anyway, I am still a bit confused. This sucks.

ToneAddictJon said:
Try a 2x12 halfback or 4x12 with EV's, it won't sound thin anymore :D
Or maybe, we have another convert to the darkside of rectifierdom :twisted:

I don't have the room for a 4x12. I thought the theile would really help me along the right path. I guess my tastes have changed. I am digging the roadster a lot. I played the combo with 2 V30's and a head through a 2x12 recto cab and they both pretty much sounded the same to me. I think I am going to get the combo, I spent a fair amount of time with it on one of those rare days when no one was in the store and no sales guy hovering over me, with good music on the P.A. to jam to. Who knows, I may change my mind tomorrow.

fitz8005 said:
how much you plan on selling it for? i'm actually thinking about trading in my single recto towards a mark iv once i get my tax refund check, hopefully in a few weeks.

Well, I am most likely going to sell the combo and the theile as a set. You can see photos of the theile on this site if you do a search for " Widebody Theile " I'm not sure if I spelled it right. It is loaded with a vintage EVM12L. I hate using this a post as a selling board, but I am thinking about $1550 for both plus shipping or pick-up.

my mk iv is darker and fater than my mk II c+.. the C+ is bright and cutts and mk IV is dark and beefy.. try it though a 4x12 mesa trad cab.. it will kill..

Anyone know what year the Rev B amps came out? I think I have a '93 Mark IV.

It has an attached cord and a ground switch and the serial is 006881

from reading the mark iv thread at the top of the page, the As were 89'-93/94', and the Bs were 94' to present.

have you tried an effects processor with the Mark IV? If you simply add some chorus/flange and/or delay to the signal path, it won't sound nearly as thin.

Yes, I am using A GT-6 through the effects loop for modulation and O.D.s. I can tweak the EQ on the processor and get a darker\warmer sound, but I don't want to have to rely on effects to do that. I have not tried the G-flex, only read about them. I really can't go with a 4x12, and I havn't seen a g-flex anywhere around where I live. Still confused. I am going to try the roadster again today, and make my decision then. I am just not having fun tweaking anymore.

trickyrick,

what kind of music are you playing with the mark iv?

Have you had it from new or is it second hand? Have you tried EL34's and different preamp valves?

I got my Mark IV a few days ago and have tried a dual rec in the shop. I have an original Marshall 2203 which is one of the most brilliantly brutal Marshalls ever and the Mark IV sounds anything but thin in comparision. It is bassy and fat if anything.

boola said:
trickyrick,

what kind of music are you playing with the mark iv?

Have you had it from new or is it second hand? Have you tried EL34's and different preamp valves?

I got my Mark IV a few days ago and have tried a dual rec in the shop. I have an original Marshall 2203 which is one of the most brilliantly brutal Marshalls ever and the Mark IV sounds anything but thin in comparision. It is bassy and fat if anything.

I play everything, classic rock,progressive,metal.

I have not tried el34's in the outside sockets, because I prefer the sound of 6L6's. I purchased it second hand but it is mint.

My MKIV has never sounded Bassy and Fat to me, just thin. I am certainly not the only one who feels this way, I guess tone is just subjective. I have never been a big fan of recto's, but the roadster just did it for me. I spent a lot of time with the amp the last few days and I really like the varity of tones it produces with a lot less effort then the IV. I never questioned the amount of gain the IV is capable of, I just think I am looking for a different sound. Again, it is just my opinion. I wish could afford to have both amps, but I can't. Who knows, I may get the roadster and find I crave something else. Tastes change.

Wow...there's got to be something wrong with that amp. I've never heard a Mark series amp sound thin unless it didn't have the EQ. I'm sure you've tried it without the effects in the loop, I've heard the GT-6 can suck some tone when in the loop of a good amp? Otherwise, this is strange.

Latest posts

Back