Danyeo1 this is for you:

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nermel

Reaction score
An excerpt from the newly revised manual...sorry just poking a little...not trying to be too much of an arse :p

MARK II-C+ (Mode Select Switch Up):
NOTE: The original MARK II-C+ amplifiers had power sections wired in TRIODE configuration. To hear the sound of the original II-C+,
set the Rear Panel Channel 3 Power Switch (located below CH. 3 REVERB Control) to TRIODE. See IMPORTANT NOTE at the end
of this section for further information.
This is a recreation of the much sought after sound of these two channel MARK series amps produced in the mid eighties that became
the voice of choice for so many recording artists of the day. Today there is a hard-core cult following for these vintage
II-C+’s and - when they can be found - they bring 3 - 4 times their original price. Many artists even now have standing
orders with their techs to buy these amps wherever they are found, regardless of price. There will probably be those
who tout the tone and authenticity of their prized vintage gems (yes, we are pleased and flattered) – and just like vintage
guitars this will probably always be the case. However, rest assured…you now own a MARK II-C+ down to the last circuit
detail and the tone is identical except for the Sylvania 415 power tubes, which are no longer available. During the R&D
process we even found ways to mimic the important mid-punch character inherent in those tubes. And far better… you don’t have
to compromise your clean or lead sound because they share controls as they do in the original layout! You also get another sound
to switch to that also has no shared controls or compromise! So, if you run into II-C+ snobs who brag about their amps or doubt the
authenticity of your rendering, smile and feel a pang of pity for the price they probably paid and let them have their glory. After all,
they need their pride because they don’t have the other 8 amplifiers you have on board to express themselves with.

The II-C+ trademark sound is urgent and stripped but also has incredible focus despite its’ precious multi-dimensional layers of upper
harmonics. It works equally well for both aggressive high gain chording and blistering single note soloing in low or high regions of
the GAIN control. When dialed in (GAIN 1:30 – 2:30, TREBLE 12:00 – 1:00, BASS 10:00 – 12:00, PRESENCE 9:00 – 11:30), it has
a lead voice that is unrivaled in articulation, nuance and time domain accuracy in the high gain genre. These qualities are especially
favored by those players whose technical ability demands instantaneous response and tight, detailed tracking of the pick attack. After
the attack, a beautiful morphing of harmonics occurs and the notes segue through a whole range of dynamic and frequency changes
that is a joy to experience. You will find yourself playing like never before and reaching newfound depths of expression.
For high gain rhythm work the II-C+ unleashed the other sound in Heavy Rock Crunch. More complex and harmonically layered than
its’ British fueled counterpart, the C+ comes on like a grinding wall of gain that is truly menacing. This aggression and sheer size is
made even more impressive with the application of the on-board Graphic EQ. The shameless scooping of mids and rebellious boost-
ing of both lows and highs simultaneously led to the iconic “V” curve becoming so popular in the eighties recordings, that it became
synonymous with the II-C+ sound. This sound reached further notoriety and became referred to as Boogie Crunch and even the

Nermel said:
It works equally well for both aggressive high gain chording and blistering single note soloing in low or high regions of
the GAIN control. When dialed in (GAIN 1:30 – 2:30, TREBLE 12:00 – 1:00, BASS 10:00 – 12:00, PRESENCE 9:00 – 11:30), it has
a lead voice that is unrivaled in articulation, nuance and time domain accuracy in the high gain genre. [/i]

Does the bass setting seem a little high to the rest of you guys? When I was playing on of the Mark V combos they had at GC, I ran my bass setting at 9 o'clock and used the sliders to adjust to taste and it was plenty.

When you have A/B'd the V with a C+ loaded with Sylvanias, then I will listen to your opinion. Everyone has their ideal C+ tone. Mine is probably different than yours, which is probably different from Doug West, and is probably different from Danyeo1. If you are going off memory, or someone's soundclips, or someone's opinion in the MkV manual, then it is all a wash. Peace out. :D

It's all good. We got the V to sound very close to the C+, but it took some blind-eye knob turning and EQ slider adjustments. Watch the Vintage Amps forum for details. 8)

Nermel said:
An excerpt from the newly revised manual...sorry just poking a little...not trying to be too much of an arse :p

Nermel said:
^^^ just thought it was funny that's all

me thinks not...

Some of us take our amps very seriously.... It's even said the C+ tone is sex for an ear canal.
My ears lead me... not words.

Oh, & I am a C+ snob according to Corporate.

peace

And this is for you. My next toy for sure. No more tweaking for me, i want to plug in and get this every time. Have fun and enjoy. My V is gone so i won't be here much anymore.

http://www.fortinamps.com/audio/Ralph-Bones-Wet.mp3

I,ve said it before, and I,ll say it again.

Everyone, each person & player as an individual, likes what they like.

Each of us listens to a sound with our own ears, and determines weather or not we find it pleasing.

The nit picking of weather or not amp A sounds exactly like amp B could go on for the ages, but here,s the thing to me on the actual IIC+ vs the Mark 5,s mode...If you want exactly amp B, then buy an amp B. Your ears prefer amp A, your ears like what amp A puts out, then you,re all good!

I,ve heard the Fortin, and it sounds amazing! And if I were in bigger financial shoes, I,d absolutely check one out & would most likely own one of those too!

But I ain,t, so to be content with the nice amp I do have is a great feeling!

I also believe that, for me at least, you have to take responsibility as a player at some point, and buckle down with some amp, any amp, and get down to the business of playing.

Cause every year there,s going to be a bigger, nicer, sweeter, better something...and I for one just can,t afford the amplifier tail chase year after year! :lol:

They,re just about all great amps gentlemen, and it,s all for the fun of it! :D

Shang Chi 66 said:
I also believe that, for me at least, you have to take responsibility as a player at some point, and buckle down with some amp, any amp, and get down to the business of playing.

Cause every year there,s going to be a bigger, nicer, sweeter, better something...and I for one just can,t afford the amplifier tail chase year after year! :lol:

They,re just about all great amps gentlemen, and it,s all for the fun of it! :D
Hell yeah dude. I'm only 19 and I'm already really sick of checking out different amps. I want one that just does it all. Hopefully the Mark V can deliver tone wise for me because I'll definitely make good use of all those features and hopefully never have to buy an amp again unless vacuum tubes become obsolete or something. God... I hate to even think about that.

Latest posts

Back