Customizing your dual rec!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxxevison

Reaction score
alright alright.

so i love my dual as much as anyone else

but the metal plate has got to go

its way too metal looking for me.

does anyone have any expirence either building a chassis or know how to take off the front panel of my existing chassis so i can put a grill cloth on it or something?

any other ideas are cool too

thanks

e

I am assuming you mean the diamond plate on the front of the cabinet. It has been noted in other posts that you can take it off with a heat gun but you have to be careful that you don't take the covering off your amp in the process.

If you mean the chrome faceplate on the chassis I have never seen grille cloth on one. I have seen replacement chassis faceplates made out of plexiglass or tin. Those you would take the knobs, lights and switches off the faceplate and lay the new one over the chassis then return the knobs, lights and switches to their places.

If you like the look of the black diamond plate you can have yours powder coated. There was even a racktifier that had a custom chartreuse powder coating it is posted here somewhere. For the purposes of keeping your amp capable of returning to stock for resale I would make a panel and cover it however you want so long as the center retained the vent section and either velcro it to the front or use a heavy double sided tape. If it fits well and you make it so that the exposed edge at the vent section dies into the vent panel and the lip just above the chassis covers well it will look every bit like a custom front panel but you will not have disturbed the originality of the amp. You will only have to remove the adhesive when or if you ever go to sell it.

hey russ

im looking to take the diamond plate only off

id like to put the black floral tolex on it in its place. as everything else i like cost too much money

so a hairdryer should be suffice? is it just glued on?

xxxevison said:
hey russ

im looking to take the diamond plate only off

id like to put the black floral tolex on it in its place. as everything else i like cost too much money

so a hairdryer should be suffice? is it just glued on?

It's applied with a double sided tape I believe.

youre right, i can see i see a little sticking iout the back

now i just need to figure out the best way to get the floral on..

xxxevison said:
youre right, i can see i see a little sticking iout the back

now i just need to figure out the best way to get the floral on..

I think people have had success just covering the diamond plate up with whatever fabric you wanted to do but I cannot recall.

I would make a masonite panel (because it is cheap and easy to work with- you could use plexi but it is harder to trim and shape) and use contact adhesive to attach it to the masonite. Then double sided tape to attach the masonite panel to the cabinet.

the only thing im irry about is if i lay the stuff ontop of the plating, things will not sit flush, i have access to a CNC machine to mill plexi.

whats the best stuff to put underneath the fabric? so it looks full

I cut the faceplate out of a sheet of 1/8" steel, then covered it in standard Recto grill cloth. Just take your faceplate off, and make a grill that is the same dimentions as your current grill, maybe an 1/8" smaller, then cover it with Mesa grill cloth....

I'm going to work on something in a few weeks.

Do any of the front panels from other Rectifier models match the dimensions of the front panel on the dual rectifiers? the half and half black front of the roadster? the grill cloth front on the road king?

Anyone tried to purchase a front panel separately from mesa/boogie and swap it?

I might do a grated/"see through" front look in a very 5150 sort of way and re-mount the mesa/boogie logo in the center of it. Anyone seen anything like that before?

Back