Custom Thiele, Yes or No?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silentrage

Reaction score
Hi fellas, I'm thinking of ordering a pair of custom built thieles.
The builder says they're made to exact thiele specs, and use good quality baltic birch ply and canadian maple. I can order any tolex I want, and I'm thinkin' Orange tolex ala Orange amps with black hardware and a black grill.
They will run about 250 unloaded.
Here are pics he sent me.

What do you think? I welcome opinions and suggestions of all kinds!
ea0551d9.jpg

2-1.jpg

Well yeah sure on principle, although if I were you I'd go for one Theile and one 'normal' cab. What amp will it be for?

(Any reason he's put those specific amps in the pics?)

I'm trying to do a stereo rig, one side is a mark iii blue stripe, I'll be spending most of my time in R2 with a clean boost in front.
Other side will be a peavey rockmaster + classic 60 power amp rig.
I like cabs that are easy to carry but sound bigger and thicker than your average 112s or even 212s if the thieles can pull that off.

Those are the dumble clones the guy built, that's his main business I believe.

Actually I forgot to mention I was also considering a 2x12 with speakers wired independently so I can run each rig into its own speaker, will that work well?

I built 2 Thiele's, both for under $ 140, not including speakers. The plans are available online, and there are a couple of threads here on the forum. It wasn't difficult at all. Just something to think about.

Mike

http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu66/mefgames/Thieles/IMG_3033.jpg

http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu66/mefgames/Thieles/IMG_3012.jpg

http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu66/mefgames/Thieles/IMG_3011.jpg

****, and I thought his price was fair. @_@
Definitely thanks for that.

edit: when you said cost you $140, did you mean the raw materials?
I would try this myself but I have absolutely no woodworking tools, lol.

4 x 8 sheet of 13 ply birch $ 40
multiple 1 x 2s $ 15
grille cloth $ 25
tolex $ 25
screws and handles, and feet $20
misc pieces $ 15

mike

I reread your original post. I assumed you meant $ 250 each. If he's charging you $ 250 for both, that is very fair.

mike

You might want to PM GTS (George) for a comparison price. He makes beautiful cabs. Just an idea.

Matt

Hey mike (mefgames), where did you get the 13 ply birch for $40? :D

I just finished building a 2x12 based on Mesa's 2x12 rectifier cab. I bought 4x8 ft birch from homedepot for the same price. Is it the same one? People on TGP forums say that's not even remotely as good as the baltic birch which sells for almost double that. My cost per cab is going to be under $40 not taking tools & speakers into the picture.

Bought it at HD as well, but they are not carrying it anymore. I went back to buy a few more sheets, and was told it was all gone. All they have now is a lesser ply version, 7ply, I think, that they sell for the same amount. By the way, I double checked the plys, and it was 11, not 13. I did try to buy some Baltic Birch at a local shop, but the cost was 2 to 3 times as much.

mike

emperor_black said:
Hey mike (mefgames), where did you get the 13 ply birch for $40? :D

The home depot stuff is not Baltic Birch. Baltic Birch typically doesn't come in 4x8 sheets but instead, 5x5 as it's cut overseas. A 5x5 sheet is about $65.

That's what I used to build my 2x12 cabs...

cab_3.JPG

cab_2.JPG

cab_5.JPG

cabs.JPG

cab_front.JPG

cab_front_2.JPG

Back