Current value and collectabilty of the Mark II C+?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
markchatwin said:
Just saw an original C+ combo, simul, reverb, the rare Export tranny, black tolex with wicker grill, mint with everything but EQ sell for $1877 on Ebay last night.
That one had to be well hidden, because I didn't see it, and I search through ebay everyday.

gts said:
I saw the listing.
Must be my search then, I remove these in my search; voodooman, d2f, xcase, ata, tuffbox. So one of those might be included. I wouldn't have bought it anyway though.

markchatwin said:
Does anyone have any knowledge of how similar collectables do overtime? Like old TV's or radios, motors, etc... I know original guitars like a '59 Les Paul are over a 100K. Can amps keep going up or do they have a ceiling since they're electronics, ie - they're not aging like the wood in the body of a guitar...

A good '59 Les Paul is practically a half million dollar prospect right now. Add more if it has "history".

Dumbles are out there for prices nearing 100k, and they are no better sounding than a good IIC+. The rarer tweed and brown Fenders are fetching close to and somtimes over 10k. Plexi Marshalls, JTM45s, Bluesbreakers...all going for big bucks.

I actually think the amp craze is only gearing up, whereas the guitar craze has been in full swing for much longer.

I just traded my '68 50 Watt Plexi for a loaded IIC+ combo. Why? Because the Boogie is a holy grail to me. Perhaps I took a value hit, however, I dialed that Plexi tone in on the Boogie in about 15 minutes...especially with the 2x12 cab I was using with the Marshall....and I have about 20,000 more tones at my fingertips with the Boogie. Pleasure is hard to price.

Plus, I think the Boogie is going to go up, way up, in value. I hope to keep it.

Mike

gts said:
MBreinin said:
[I just traded my '68 50 Watt Plexi for a loaded IIC+ combo. Why? Because the Boogie is a holy grail to me. Perhaps I took a value hit, however, I dialed that Plexi tone in on the Boogie in about 15 minutes...especially with the 2x12 cab I was using with the Marshall....

Curious: What settings on the C+ and what cab/ speakers were you using?
+1

I discovered how close a Boogie can get to classic Marshall sounds when I had my MKIII and I could nail AC/DC tones with it and my '64 Gretsch with a halfback with EVs.

I think alot of the key to dialing this sound in is speakers. This is much harder with one EV in a combo. However, I have a vintage 2x12 Marshall Bluesbreaker cab that is loaded with well broken in G12Hs.

Also, the key is low gain, lots of volume.

Here is generally what the settings are:

Volume 1 set to 9 and pulled
Treble set to 9 and pulled
Bass set to 3 and not pulled
Middle 7
Master to taste, but 2 is minimum and 3-6 is much better, pulled
Lead drive around 3, maybe 4 at the most.
Lead master around 3 and pulled.

IIRC, my presence was relatively low, like 4-5. I just changed it to a different setting so I don't remember 100%.

EQ was set in a V, but more of a soft V. Yes, I am scooping the mids because the cab/speakers make so much midrange. Also, I am using a vintage Les Paul ('73) with PAF style pickups and/or an SG with a Maestro and vintage style PUs.

This is not going to be exact, but it is so **** close that I will never miss the Plexi. The key is volume, get it nice and punchy and not too gained out, that is how a real Plexi sounds. Use a clean boost to get you into more gain, like you would with a real vintage amp. Season to taste. I will record this in the near future and we can A/B it with recordings of my actual Plexi.

****, I love this amp!!!

Mike

gts said:
Thanks Mike

Btw setting Volume 1 to 9 is actually a lot of gain.

It might have actually been lower now that I think of it...perhaps around 7. The lead drive was low 2-3, but alot of volume to create punch. I think the speakers and cab are really the missing element. I was playing AC/DC tunes and Cream tunes and I thought the tone was pretty **** close to the Marshall, which I have been playing exclusively for nearly a year. Of course, I dial EVERYTHING in to sound like a Marshall as that is the distorted sound I hear in my head.

Mike

gts said:
MBreinin said:
I think the speakers and cab are really the missing element.
All other variables being somewhat repeatable on my end I'd have to agree the cab/ speakers was/ is a big part of you getting a Plexi tone.
I was meerly pointing out it was fairly high gain at 9, not trying to dispute anything or cause trouble :) .

Nah, I didn't take it that way. All good!

Mike

gts said:
MBreinin said:
I think the speakers and cab are really the missing element.
All other variables being somewhat repeatable on my end I'd have to agree the cab/ speakers was/ is a big part of you getting a Plexi tone.
I was meerly pointing out it was fairly high gain at 9, not trying to dispute anything or cause trouble :) .

George: I thought "trouble" was your middle name; hence the "t" in gts! :wink:

Latest posts

Back