Curious about the 2010 Dual Rectifier (multi-watt)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarbloke

Reaction score
I may be about to buy one of these (it's a choice between this or a Rect-o-verb combo to save some space)

Is there anything I should be concerned about with the head? Any common problems that I should keep an eye open for?

Likewise - are there any mods that you'd recommend I should do to make life easier in the long term?

Also, can you recommend good tubes for this head, or are Mesa's stock tubes good enough?

Oh - and can you recommend a good overdrive pedal for pushing the amp (I play 80s hard and glam rock). I have a Keeley SD-1 at the moment which is great on my Marshall, but I'm guessing I won't need to push a Dual Rec too much to make it sing!

Sorry for all the questions! :)

Cheers!

Considering your current rig and style, you really should demo a MKV. IMO it's a better fit for '80's glam/hard rock, and you (most likely) don't need to boost it either.

Don't get me wrong, the Recto's when setup correctly could hang with the Glam, but IMO the Mark series will rule that style. Most Recto players (myself included) use some type of boost.

Here's my $0.02.......
The only way to know for sure is to try both amps first if possible.

I own both. The Roadster is my #1 rig, but I wouldn't take it to a Hard Rock gig.

Dom

I ordered a new Rectifier in Jan, received it about three weeks ago. While I haven't owned it long, I have gone through it with a fine toothed comb. have done gigs with it. Everything from dance music to heavy metal.

Searched long and hard for a great multi-channel amp that could cover a wide variety of music. For me, nothing beat the new "Multiwatt Rectifiers".

guitarbloke said:
Is there anything I should be concerned about with the head? Any common problems that I should keep an eye open for?
I haven't heard of any issues with these new "Reborn" heads. I looked in to this as I didn't want to spend big $$ on an amp that had ANY known problems.

guitarbloke said:
Likewise - are there any mods that you'd recommend I should do to make life easier in the long term?
The amps needs no mods at all. I feel that Mesa really did their homework with this amp. The mods are already there.

guitarbloke said:
Also, can you recommend good tubes for this head, or are Mesa's stock tubes good enough?
Can't speak for the 6L6's, as I ordered my amp with EL34's. They sound great, and are in the corrrect bias range for the amp. The 6L6's are actually Ruby tubes (from China). the EL34's are Sovteks (I believe), The 12ax7's are JJ.
The tubes are fine for the amp.

guitarbloke said:
Oh - and can you recommend a good overdrive pedal for pushing the amp (I play 80s hard and glam rock). I have a Keeley SD-1 at the moment which is great on my Marshall, but I'm guessing I won't need to push a Dual Rec too much to make it sing!
I've heard this a lot on different forums, including this one. I'm going to speak up now... actually yell. THE NEW RECTO'S DON'T NEED A BOOST PEDAL.
This amp sings on it's own. Compared to other Recto's I've played, it's tighter, smoother, brighter, and cuts better in the mix.
I couldn't imagine using (or needing) any type of boost pedal with this amp. I think others always talk about boost pedals because they've never tried the newer "Multiwat" amps. It's a different beast.

guitarbloke said:
Sorry for all the questions! :)
Cheers!
No problemo. Hope my answers helped :D

I personally think the DR would go nice with the Glam sound. As far as boosting it goes try the Digitech bad monkey. I bought it a while back and i was blown away by it. Its really cheap and imo sounds alot nicer than a tubescreamer. It also lets you adjust both the bass and treble knobs which helps fine tune your sound. It really helps tidy up the low end on the DR i find.

I've had mine for about 7 months or so now...no problems whatsoever. It is built well. I had a bias mod done to mine, basically to take control of that aspect of the amp. It does not need it, but does warm the amp up and "opens it up". I like either JJ 6L6GC's or SED 6L6's for it.

domct203 has a good point about the Mark V and 80s Glam/Rock. Back in the 80s most of the big name studio guitarists were using various forms of Boogies, and the Mark V can really zone in on those kind of sounds. Everything from the 80s cleans to those compressed lead tones.

That said, I disagree that the Recto can't do hard rock. The Pushed and Raw modes can do lower gain stuff no problem.

I love both of mine. They are wonderful amplifiers that are extremely versatile. Might try EL-34's in it if you do end up going with a Multi-Watt. Mine have never had any problems and are very reliable, and they sound AWESOME straight out of the box.

-AJH

Latest posts

Back