Crybaby...and Recto...not happy

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ukalali_Solo

Reaction score
Hey i really havent posted for a while, but heres a concern.

I have a Dunlop Crybaby, not one of the souped up models, just the standard 70-80 buck one. Now with other amps its held its ground. Now a days with my Mesa Boogie Single Recto ive been not too thrilled with the wah...

...when i do a full range sweep with my wah on cleans, regardless of volumes, it overdrives the amp to a degree that i dont like. It has a way too harsh tone for me to like on cleans. Now i dont know if its Mesa's high gain or its tendency to be very Mid Sweeped and heavy on highs and lows. But i want to correct this, with another pedal, or maybe use my EQ rack, idk what to do really.

Anyone encountered this and thinks theres a better wah suited for us modern gain folk?

I prefer (and use) the Morley Bad Horsie II wah. It was designed with the input of Steve Vai. I think he knows a thing or two about high gain playing.

RB

Huh, I like my old cry-baby with my recto. I don't have it listed in my signature, but I have a 20+ year old cry-baby I've used off and on with every amp I've ever owned and I love it, and the bud-wah just expands on the cry-baby and I really like it too.

Maybe the pot just needs adjusted to give it a different sweep? Or maybe try backing off some presence on the amp. I'm not sure why it would sound good on other amps and not a recto unless it's pushing a certain freq that the recto doesn't like?

Keep us posted, I'm curious to see if you can render this :?:

Strange, I play my original crybaby with my recto and it sounds great. :?:

I had the same problem. I used a 12 year old Crybaby with my DR and it just sucked the life out of it. Even when it was bypassed it had an effect.
It did not seem to do this on the IIC's or IV. I have not even bothered on the RK yet.

The Wah is a filter effect and unfortunately, many filter effects drive the input of an amp. I absolutely hate this about them. The worst part is that mostly the highs are louder and the mids dissappear.

I've known people to put an eq after a wah to properly dial in their tone and compensate for volume changes.

Red Barchetta said:
I prefer (and use) the Morley Bad Horsie II wah. It was designed with the input of Steve Vai. I think he knows a thing or two about high gain playing.

RB

Same here for me, I have a modded crybaby that doesn't sound good with my DR, I use the Bad Horsie II

Yes, I upgraded by Voc 864 to Fasel, could not hear any difference.

By the way, wahs are very sensitive to placement in the effects chain. Experiment. Try putting it LAST as well as FIRST. I have found that putting a Full Drive II, Boss CH-1 chorus, and Line 6 DM4 AFTER the wah reduces the Q (peakiness of the wah effect). In this case, maybe this is what Ukali_Solo needs to tame his wah.

Well im not really too worried about what the wah takes out in tone because i have it in a loop with a master switch before my amp. The master switch is SUPPOSED to be true bypass so it theoretically shouldnt be sucking too much out.

Its just like the range of the wah overdrives my amp nasty when i hit the higher ranges, i think a new wah is the key or i can start using my EQ rack lol

I actually reduced the prescence and so far thats helped a bit, i hope that it wont continue with louder live settings

Also i think the fact that im using a Charvel Model II with EVO in the bridge is also why the higher freqs are annoying

I use a 535Q, Bad Horsie II, RMC3, and EMB Audio wah into my tremoverb and they all sound good, different but good. The BH and EMB suit higher gain playing better, but the Dunlop and Teese also have a cool tone.

MJ

Teese RMC3 can be customised by you in all sorts of ways, so you should be able to make it sound like you want with any amp. And it sounds amazing (to my ears) - very organic.

http://www.realmccoycustom.com/

Yeah they're pretty sweet. I had Geoffrey tweak mine and make a few other changes and it's an awesome wah for sure...very hard to beat for vintage tones!

MJ

Latest posts

Back