crappy tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibegyourpardon

Reaction score
I was playing my rectoverb today and getting okay tones but if I got directly in front of the speaker ( at about 5 yards away) my tone was pure crap. It may be my preamp tubes, but when i was sitting in front of my amp at pretty good volume, my tone was very dry, thin, and just bad. Is this my preamp tubes or is my tone pure crap? :x

Pre-amp tubes will begin to make noise, and I guess they could produce a dry and thin sound, but not just in front of the speaker? Too many variables, not enough info?

If the tubes were not making any sort of microphonic hum I believe you were sitting in the dead spot of the cab. Try this... if you stand right next to the cab about 5 yards away.. (not in front, to the left or right) does your tone get better? A lot of people put a piece of tape in that spot on their cabs.

Post your settings if possible.

... besides the above suggestions, sometimes a change of speakers makes a difference. But that takes some money$.

What are your settings, channel etc? Is the amp new? How old are the tubes? As someone else said not enough info....

ibegyourpardon said:
I was playing my rectoverb today and getting okay tones but if I got directly in front of the speaker ( at about 5 yards away) my tone was pure crap. It may be my preamp tubes, but when i was sitting in front of my amp at pretty good volume, my tone was very dry, thin, and just bad. Is this my preamp tubes or is my tone pure crap? :x

Latest posts

Back