Crackling sounds

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rkorn

Reaction score
Hey,
My amp is crackling, like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B1g-miKnhI
Its a Pre tube right?
Then how come it stops doing the noise after I play for a while? and becomes really silent?
Remember that I'm not in the States, so Boogie for me is only the amp, no customer service no nothing cause those guys don't answer emails, apparently.

When I've had that sound in the past it was usually a bad cable, although once it was a loose output jack on my guitar.

I'm not saying it can't be a preamp tube, just never had one make that kind of sound before.

Tomorrow I'm taking it to the store and see what they can make of it.
Hope its a tube, if its another component it'll take years in the distributor. I'll have new info tomorrow..
wish me luck

Out of curiosity, if it's making that popping noise and you remove the cable from the input jack, does the popping noise stop?

If the noise stops, it's probably one of your cables.

If it keeps going, it's definitely not one of your cables.

Out of stupidity I haven't tried that one yet.
But i'm trying it today.
I called the store and they told me to go there on wednesday, they will ask Mesa distributor for some tubes in case mine needs change.
Today i'll try the cable and i'll try the tube tapping...
More news later!
I will take the amp out of standby and the amp will start crackling... i'll take the input jack out to see what happens with another cable!
I hope it's the cable or a pre tube! Just not some components which will take forever to change!!!!!

Ok, The Jack is not The problem.
Pre tubes aren't 5 of them. 2 of them were really really hard to reach and tap.
I can't turn The amp on without Power tubes right?
Still i took 5 out and put them back. I believe The crackle attenuated... The cap of v1 is almost impossible to reach and i was not able to get The front of, i took its cap of, and it was so hard to get that back again!!! I don't even think the thing is sitting there properly!

Got it today.
No funny noises!!!
3 pre tubes changed and a bad weld (is this how you say/write it???)...
The sound is still there but only only hear it if you put the volume at 3 or more (which is impossible if a guitar is plugged with standby of).
They say this is the natural sound of the amp!!!! Still, it is very subtle... No guitar, standby of and volume almost maxed out = some very subtle noise (this is normal)
I'm so happy right now!!!

The amp, from what I was told.
They just said, a bad weld and 3 pre tubes were in need of revision.
Now it is just really really silent.
I turn the amp on and i keep wondering... no funny sounds? the amp is damaged...knowing it was supposed to be like this from the start :D

Latest posts

Back