Couple of Nooblet questions re: Mark IIB

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ultron

Reaction score
I've had a Mark III head for awhile, but just got a Mark IIB combo (my first combo). I swapped out the noname speaker in it with an Eminence Delta Pro 12A, and I have 2 questions:

The fan was mounted on the right side of the amp (looking at the back)...shouldn't it be mounted on the left side, under the OT (near the outlet)?

Also, on the left side (in corner) is a long metal tube/coil, vertically mounted. What is that thing? It has some clips with leftover solder on it.

Finally, does the reverb tank need to stay in the bag? Space is tight with the new speaker, and I'd remove it if it's not necessary.

I'm at work, so I can't provide pics.

Thanks for your help...the IIB is a great amp.....amazing cleans!

the fan on my 2b is mounted on the left (looking at the back)

honestly, as long as you're moving air under there, i don't think it's that critical.

those clippy-thingys you described....
don't have a clue what those are.

and i don't have reverb (head only) so i can't help you there either.

the bag, i suppose, keeps dust off, and acts as a bit of a shock absorber....
i'd leave it like that, if you can afford the space.

Looking from the back, the fan should be in the right rear below the power tubes and OT.
That long metal tube/coil sounds to me like a poor mans hot plate. It's a huge resistor that lowers the power amps output to the speaker.

Ultron said:
...it says Mallory 10AY10 (or 10AV10....can't tell)...

Sounds like a capacitor of some sort.

Congrats on the MkIIB. Certainly was a favorite of mine. My old blonde non-reverb 60watter had an EV(L) speaker that I thought worked real well.
I'm actually a fan of the Black Shadow (Celestion 90) for its character, but the MkIIB I had was nice and smooth sounding.

yettoblaster said:
Ultron said:
...it says Mallory 10AY10 (or 10AV10....can't tell)...

Sounds like a capacitor of some sort.

Congrats on the MkIIB. Certainly was a favorite of mine. My old blonde non-reverb 60watter had an EV(L) speaker that I thought worked real well.
I'm actually a fan of the Black Shadow (Celestion 90) for its character, but the MkIIB I had was nice and smooth sounding.

Thanks! It's a great sounding amp. The Mallory wasn't hooked up to anything when I got it. It's about the size of a cigar...hollow, made of what looks to be ceramic and metal coil, covered in an epoxy of some sort. The amp had some dipswitch added below the two 4 ohm outputs...not sure what that does either. Eventually it'll end up at Mike B's bench for a full restoration and FX loop mod.

Sounds like some kind of power soak for recording or somethin'.

Mine was blonde tolex. My present Mark I Re-Issue reminds me of my old MkIIB in appearence, though the MKIIB was a bit more refined in sound and worked perfect for its vintage age.

Excellent so-called Jazz sound available, as I recall. 8)

I think the EVL was stellar sounding. Never even seen another 12EVL though they get mentioned here at The Boogie Board from time to time.

I've had EVM's, but I don't know how they differ. Power handling, probably.

Latest posts

Back