Cool solution to low volume for a 2ch DR

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clutch71

Reaction score
I've been thinking about a couple different things to keep the DR quite. Mainly a Voodoo mod or a power attenuator (most likely a 8ohm THD)

I did try it once with my old ROV in the front but it did not digest it well.The J-station really hasn't been used other than as a "practice" amp as it has a headphone jack.

Last night I was sitting out in the garage noodling on the guitar. I took my old J-Station amp modeler and plugged it in to the return like a preamp and plugged a blank plug into the send. I adjusted the level on the return and LAM and controlled the volume with the with the master on the J-Station.

I found that while the tone was not 100% to my liking I could dial in some decent saturation at low volume. Since I've heard that power attenuators "suck" a little tone out of the amp, i'm thinking this might be a possible solution around the house. I'm still not ruling out a Voodoo mod down the road.

The J-station has the ability for deep level editing where you can adjust the cabinet emulation, amp, compression, delay, effects (only one at a time) and noise gate by hooking it up to a lap top. Just tweaking some old settings and factory settings I found some great old marshall tones, some Dimebag-esque, and NU-Metal Rectifier sounds.

Some one asked a while back what a modeler would sound like through a rectifier set to model a rectifier. When I have the time I'll throw some clip up on youtube.

In case anyone is interested they do not make the J-Station anymore. To my ears they sounded better than the Pod and I think Line 6 bought them out. You can find them on eBay for a really good price.

My question is has anyone else ran something like this? Any harm in the way it's running? I haven't gone back through the manual yet but I thought this was the suggested way of using the amp like a power amp. Does it effect impedance? I'm currently plugged into the 8oh jack into an 8ohm rec cab.

What you are doing will cause no harm. You won't be getting any output tube saturation at low volumes with a DR period. If you get a tone you love, who cares? FWIW, after listening to ALL the modelers I bought the Vox Tonelab LE. I would have bought the new one with only one pedal but it had not come out yet. Unlike all other modelers, the Vox uses a 12ax7 as a virtual output tube, you CAN get output tube saturation with it and it sounds just grand. Can be a bit noisy in some settings but it has a much more organic grind to it than J Station or the Pod (or that POS Behringer thingie). I wish Mesa would build a true mini amp, not just the single-ended mode in the Express and LoneStar Special (TOO MANY MICRO-SWITCHES. RANDALL SMITH KNOCK IT OFF!!!).

ThunderMonkey said:
Some one asked a while back what a modeler would sound like through a rectifier set to model a rectifier

Isn't that like toasting toast ? :roll:

Tone quest is a never-ending search and fun too ! 8)

That was me, and I was being halfway sarcastic, but I wouldn't doubt people have tried it, and I would try it if I still had my podxt. Those little things are amazing tools in the studio.

Latest posts

Back