Converting Chassis Strap amps to SUS-4 cabs

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I bought Joey's hardwood cab. It had his Mark IV in it, but I put my DC-3 in it.

There was a huge problem mounting it in the cab though, because the DC-3 had chassis straps with 10-24 bolts. The bolts were too big to fit through the holes in the SUS-4 mounts on the cab.

This threw me for a loop because Mesa no longer supports the SUS-4 and does not have any 8-32 cage nuts.

I live in a medium sized town and could not find anything anywhere to solve this problem. I wanted to replace the cage nuts and screws or install 8-32 nuts in the top lip of the chassis so that the SUS-4 screws would work. Nobody had anything like that. I went to a local body shop and they had Nut-Zerts, which are sort of like a pop-rivet, but the holes in the chassis were too big. Back to square 1. I looked all day yesterday and was just about to give up when the candle came on above my head.

:D I remembered that I had to remove the 4 metal tabs that Mesa puts on the top of a lot of their chassis so that it would fit in the cabinet.

Guess what, they were 8-32 and there was enough metal on them to allow me to epoxy them to the inside of the top lip of the chassis in the holes where the chassis strap bolts passed through them originally.

What an ordeal. I had originally tried to epoxy 8-32 nuts to the inside of these holes, but that didn't work because they were almost the size of the original hole and there was not enough meat on them for the epoxy to do any good.

I spent 8 hours trying to find something that was right in front of my tunnel vision. Looks like I pulled a Homer. DOH!!!!!

I thought maybe that sharing this info would help some poor sucker like me who just might have placed himself in this same situation.

Cool. Can't wait to see how it looks. I've toyed with the idea of housing mine in bubinga, but can't justify the cash outlay. I invested in a "Boogie" nameplate to get the old school vibe, and I'm digging the way that looks. It looks like a mini Mark IV.

Boogiebabies - you are a veritable font of information.

Do you know why manhole covers are circular?

Monsta-Tone said:
(Clever solution, by the way.)
:oops: Only took me 8 hours to come up with it. I usually get severe tunnel vision when taking on my personal projects. I built an entire Fender Super combo amp in 8 hours because I couldn't stop. Drives the wife nuts. :D

I'll try to get some pics up today or tomorrow.

Just don't tell anyone!

I think Einstein once said "It's not that I'm that much smarter than everyone else, I just stay with the problem longer."

I think the same thing applies to great musicians and artists. I once got into a great debate over talent with the art students at the University.
I said something to the effect of anyone can do this, and be great at it, it just takes years of practice, and determination.

Determination beats almost anything, man.

Back