Converting a combo to head?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thelordofcheesecake

Reaction score
I've got a Mesa Mark II in a really lovely koa 1x12 combo, but for practical purposes I'd like to convert this combo into head format - is this possible, and if it is what do I need to do to achieve this?

Thanks guys,
Tom

I'm interested in this topic, too. I'd like to convert my MK I into a head and keep the reverb. Has anyone done it without having to have a head where you mount the reverb tank upside down in a cutout?

I am not sure I would cut that koa cabinet. You will need to be sure that you leave enough room to still fashion the corner joints yet make it large enought o house the entire amp including the reverb tank. The fan would be a no brainer but you might consider following the B version slot in the front behind the front panel for ease of tube changes. It is simpler to just buy a proper cabinet already made rahter than risk ruining a nice cabinet like the one you have. What is it about the way the reverb tank sits in the typical head cabinet that you don't like?

Oh, it's not that I don't like the reverb tank mounting. It's more that I have a head cab from a Sundown amp that is remarkably similar in size to the Mark I chassis. Same width and height, the long distance between mounting holes is the same, the Boogie has a shorter distance between the short mounting holes.

I was just wondering about any issues that might pop up if I could fit the Boogie chassis and reverb tank in the Sundown case. Sundown mounts their reverb tank in the std manner at the bottom of the case. It's tight, but it fits. I was concerned with picking up any hum or other stray signals if I get too close together.

Russ said:
I am not sure I would cut that koa cabinet. You will need to be sure that you leave enough room to still fashion the corner joints yet make it large enought o house the entire amp including the reverb tank. The fan would be a no brainer but you might consider following the B version slot in the front behind the front panel for ease of tube changes. It is simpler to just buy a proper cabinet already made rahter than risk ruining a nice cabinet like the one you have. What is it about the way the reverb tank sits in the typical head cabinet that you don't like?

Sorry, my initial post probably wasn't clear enough - I want to keep the koa box w/speaker intact (well, as intact as possible) in the event that I change back to combo format. I'd just like to get the electronic guts of the amp out of it and into a more compact head format.

It's an easy swap, just watch for a head cabinet on ebay. Make sure the inside dimensions are correct before bidding. They come cut for reverb or without the cut. Swapping the reverb is the most difficult part make sure you use rubber washers for isolation when mounting your reverb. If not you'll have a howler......

CitizenCain said:
I'm interested in this topic, too. I'd like to convert my MK I into a head and keep the reverb. Has anyone done it without having to have a head where you mount the reverb tank upside down in a cutout?
The enclosure would have to much taller than a standard M/B head if you don't want that cut-out.

And like you suggest above, mount with rubber spaces.

Im not exactly sure who did the conversion in the picture below but i know it was from a combo to a head as the controls and logo are upside down.

Apart from that i think it worked fine. Hopefully the owner of the amp will be along to confirm. (its not my picture)

mesabogiereverseheadcombtohead.jpg

Looks funky. 8)

Back