Considering a Mark I...ohms question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TPM

Reaction score
Well, since I can't fix my Studio Series, I'm considering the Mark I...I played one at the Mesa store the other day and it sounded awesome.

I have a question about ohms and speaker connections. I would probably want to use this amp with the lowest possible watts "setting" - 60 watts switch, 6V6 power tubes, tweed position. From the manual I'm thinking this gives me roughly 20 watts, but it also says that in this setting, the 8 ohm jack is really a 32 ohm, and the 4 ohm jack is really a 16 ohm.
So the question is, can I still safely hook up the 8 ohm speaker to the 4 ohm (16 ohm) jack? The manual shows alot of configurations, but the mismatch is always the other way - lower jack ohms to higher speaker ohms.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Hi Tom:

Sorry to hear your Studio .22 can't be fixed.

Now with the Mark I Reissue, are you planning to use only a pair of 6V6s? If that's the case, I think what the manual states is correct, the impedance taps are doubled (8 ohm tap is now 16 ohms).

If I'm not mistaken, mismatch tap to speakers should not be a problem for a MESA Boogie transformer. But preferably a matched or have a higher speaker ohm load than the tansformer speaker tap.

But don't take my word.

I'll bump up this post and hope someone has a grasp of this concept.

RR-

Yeah, I never even got a chance to use the head you sold me! I'm going to keep it, I'll see if the Mark I (once I get it) will fit in there.

I'll probably use all four 6v6's, but put it on the 60W position, which I think means only two tubes are being used. What I'm trying to do is get the watts as low as possible! I like hearing the power tubes...not that I could do that in my house (really even 5 watts is way way to loud for my wife an kids!)...

Anyway, thanks for the info!

Tom

Yeah, I hope the Mark I reissue uses the same chassis as the original, then my head enclosure should fit fine.

Yeah, you get a warm tone pushing the power stage tubes.

Dual 6V6s ... I had a '69 Fender Princeton and used to run it on "10". It had a warm bluesy tone so I know what you want out of your Mark I reissue.

Bumping post up hope someone response on the impedance mismatch. :wink:

Back