Considering a Carvin ST 300.....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old BF Shred

Reaction score
I am considering ordering a Carvin guitar and wondered how many 'Boogie Boarders' have or had one?
I am interested in the "new" ST300.

This is what I am basically looking for: I want to get a "short(er) scale" i.e. 24.75" or 25" scale guitar with A Floyd Rose...... PRS has no Floyds and the new Les Paul with Floyd is way too much $. :shock:

My questions are about what pickups to order with the wood selection I want.....Maple neck with swamp ash body sides, Flame maple top, Ebony (maybe Rosewood) fret board and Stainless Steel frets.

I generally like "medium output" p/u's ….I like the Seymour D. 'JB' (no higher output than this, though....)
Also been a fan of DiMarzio (PAF Pro sounds good to me....a little more output would be preferred). I mention these p/u’s as a reference point.

In other words, I like a little “grittier character” (like a JB) but maybe a bit sweeter (like PAF Pro). Confusing…I know. :cry:

I have been told the Carvin “Holdsworth H22” p/u is great but not recommended for high gain rock as it is not potted, so it means the M22 series or one of the C22 (stock?) series p/u’s.
I know I can always change p/u’s later on, but as this is going to cost me enough as it is, I want the best included p/u’s.

My concerns are too bright/too smooth a sound….esp. with maple top.
I have considered dropping the Maple top (but I LOVE the look) or going rosewood rather than ebony or maple for the fret board. Stainless steel frets are a must, however. Swamp Ash also required for lightest possible weight (alder is 2nd choice).

I went to the San Diego store but they do not have my combination of preferred options in stock so I could not really tell from what they had.
Even with the 10 day satisfaction deal, I don’t want to have to order a second guitar to find what I want. I need to “nail” this first time around!

Any of you guys have any insight you can offer?
Looking forward to the responses, Thanks! :D :D

Awsome guitar man! I was on the fence forever between the ST300 or a carved top (I actually put a deposit down for the carved top 3 weeks ago). After reading a ba-jillion reviews I decided on the C22 pickups for mine for clean to hard rock. I have my ESP for the metal. They just sounded like the most versatile. The M22's were my second choice. Call customer service at Carvin. They will help walk you through the options. What color are you thinking about getting your ST in? I had to go with the dragon burst with natural binding and back, matching headstock with ebony neck, and black hardware and pups.

I am inclined to get the C22's as they "seem" to be the best overall choice.....I tried the M22 and liked them, but people say they aren't the best at rolling back the volume and going for clean...that plus they sounded more compressed which is to be expected (so do the JB's to some extent but I have gotten used to that...).

I saw a "Premeir Guitar" video with the carved top and c22's (with a x100b reissue) .....sounded better to me than I originally thought when I tried 'em...
The problem is they don't have all the available combinations at their shop, so I could imagine how one would feel if they ordered from across the country without trying any...at least I could check out a few....

I like the sunburst colors.....cherry, umber, sunset....
Diamond inlays.
Chrome hdwe, Black logo, Zebra p/u coils.

I'll let you all know if I get it.

Take care! :)

you can't get a new carvin, with a gibson scale length.

that is the reason i don't own a new carvin!!

LOL

ok, here's my 1984 carvin, that DOES have a 24.75" scale length:

dc200close.jpg

still my main axe, even tho i've got 2 other custom electrics.

tho, thru the years, i've re-arranged and changed all the electronics, had the neck shaved to a shallow "C" from a "U", and replaced the Kahler floating bridge with a hybrid that can lock down to a hard tail when i want that.

25 years old, and still kicks my buddy's LPS right in the tookus.

LOL

it has a duncan custom custom in the rear, and a stock pickup in the neck...
but i'm going to put new Bill Lawrence's in both (a L-90 in the bridge, and a 500R in the neck), MAYBE i'll hook the coil taps and phase switches back up, maybe not.
personally, i do not care for the carvin pickups.

YMMV

but they do not do the gibson scale length anymore.
a 25" is standard, so it's very similar to the PRS that way.....
look at the california carved tops

Yea, a 25" scale is fine...I like most PRS models, but too little guitar for too much $, IMO.

I have mainly 25.5" guitars, also a 1978 Hamer Sunburst that's 24.75, but no vibrato, let alone a Floyd. Wanted to try 25" for a change as well as neck through.....

BTW, your pics did not come through.

Thanks....and Good Luck! :)

hm, that's weird..
i can see em fine!

LOL

no seriously, it's just a image shack link...
maybe they were down....

i really like the solid koa.
but for bolt-ons, i like an alder body, hard rock maple neck with pau ferro fretboard.

Now I can see it....very sharp axe! (pun intended! :lol: )

At 25 yrs of age, the wood has aged like a fine wine........I would imagine it would kick any new guitar in tone. Same is tue with my 31 yr old Hamer Sunburst. Sounds sweet as honey...just don't have the features I want!

And I also like the "alder body, hard rock maple neck with pau ferro fretboard" combo...it is exactly what is on my '92 Hamer Centaur, along with a JB in the bridge.

Take care! :)

I do have a pearl white Carvin CT4 for sale if anyone is interested. Very little playing time, near mint. Beautiful instrument, plays and sounds great but I never seem to stop playing my Fenders. $750 plus shipping. New they're around $1250. PM if you'd like pics.

jab said:
I do have a pearl white Carvin CT4 for sale if anyone is interested. Very little playing time, near mint. Beautiful instrument, plays and sounds great but I never seem to stop playing my Fenders. $750 plus shipping. New they're around $1250. PM if you'd like pics.

If you have not already. you may want to put this in the "classifieds" section. That's a good price on a great axe....too heavy for me and no Floyd or else I'd be all over it!
Good luck with that! :D

gonzo said:
you can't get a new carvin, with a gibson scale length.

that is the reason i don't own a new carvin!!

LOL

ok, here's my 1984 carvin, that DOES have a 24.75" scale length:

dc200close.jpg

still my main axe, even tho i've got 2 other custom electrics.

tho, thru the years, i've re-arranged and changed all the electronics, had the neck shaved to a shallow "C" from a "U", and replaced the Kahler floating bridge with a hybrid that can lock down to a hard tail when i want that.

25 years old, and still kicks my buddy's LPS right in the tookus.

LOL

it has a duncan custom custom in the rear, and a stock pickup in the neck...
but i'm going to put new Bill Lawrence's in both (a L-90 in the bridge, and a 500R in the neck), MAYBE i'll hook the coil taps and phase switches back up, maybe not.
personally, i do not care for the carvin pickups.

YMMV

but they do not do the gibson scale length anymore.
a 25" is standard, so it's very similar to the PRS that way.....
look at the california carved tops
Oh, is she purrdy! :mrgreen:

I have a late 90's Carvin 7 string, with walnut body and floyd. It's great, it doesnt show much wear from age, and it still plays great! I got it used for a STEAL, and it has a tremolno installed, and has the stock 7 string C22 pickups with the active preamp and coil taps/phase switch. The best thing about it is the treble boost/cut and bass boost/cut. Idk if this feature is on new ones,

This guitar litterally can get tones of all my other guitars. It nails the petrucci tone with a classic v, without i

Thanks for all the input guys.
I am still trying to decide.
With Christmas and "property tax season" nearing, I may have to hold off for a while.

I am still interested in getting one, but I may have to wait for any tax refund this spring before I can do it. That's assuming Obama-nomics leaves me with any $$ ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:

Sad but true......... :cry:

Old BF Shred said:
I am considering ordering a Carvin guitar and wondered how many 'Boogie Boarders' have or had one?
I am interested in the "new" ST300.

This is what I am basically looking for: I want to get a "short(er) scale" i.e. 24.75" or 25" scale guitar with A Floyd Rose...... PRS has no Floyds and the new Les Paul with Floyd is way too much $. :shock:

My questions are about what pickups to order with the wood selection I want.....Maple neck with swamp ash body sides, Flame maple top, Ebony (maybe Rosewood) fret board and Stainless Steel frets.

I generally like "medium output" p/u's ….I like the Seymour D. 'JB' (no higher output than this, though....)
Also been a fan of DiMarzio (PAF Pro sounds good to me....a little more output would be preferred). I mention these p/u’s as a reference point.

In other words, I like a little “grittier character” (like a JB) but maybe a bit sweeter (like PAF Pro). Confusing…I know. :cry:

I have been told the Carvin “Holdsworth H22” p/u is great but not recommended for high gain rock as it is not potted, so it means the M22 series or one of the C22 (stock?) series p/u’s.
I know I can always change p/u’s later on, but as this is going to cost me enough as it is, I want the best included p/u’s.

My concerns are too bright/too smooth a sound….esp. with maple top.
I have considered dropping the Maple top (but I LOVE the look) or going rosewood rather than ebony or maple for the fret board. Stainless steel frets are a must, however. Swamp Ash also required for lightest possible weight (alder is 2nd choice).

I went to the San Diego store but they do not have my combination of preferred options in stock so I could not really tell from what they had.
Even with the 10 day satisfaction deal, I don’t want to have to order a second guitar to find what I want. I need to “nail” this first time around!

Any of you guys have any insight you can offer?
Looking forward to the responses, Thanks! :D :D

Your in luck. Luckly, the stock scale is the 25" scale. AND the C22 pickups are what you need. Medium output, gritty and smooth. HOWEVER. If you want a truely, TRUELY custom guitar, check out Ed Roman Guitars. Everything is customizable, even the location of the pots.
www.edroman.com

Old BF Shred said:
Thanks.
I have checked out Ed Roman's site. Good stuff! :mrgreen:
Still a bit pricey for what I want, although a better deal than the "Big Name" guitar brands. :)

You simply can't beat Carvin when it comes to Options and quality/ price ratio.

Well the trigger has been pulled! :p

I ordered my new ST300c yesterday.
I should have it right around New Year's, or so.

Floyd Rose w/ lock nut, Sunset Sunburst over flamed maple.
Maple neck thru Swamp Ash body.
Cream/Black zebra C22 p/u's.
Rosewood fingerboard w/ 'signature' inlays and stainless steel frets.
And a 'custom' option of separate volume controls for each P/U.

I'll post my impressions when I get it.....but now I have to finish packing.....going on vacation.....
Happy Thanksgiving to all! :D :D :D

Old BF Shred said:

I'll post my impressions when I get it.....but now I have to finish packing.....going on vacation.....
Sounds soooo pretty. Happy Thanksgiving!

Old BF Shred said:

Sounds soooo pretty. Happy Thanksgiving!

Latest posts

Back