Connecting external 2x12 cab to F 50 combo amp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericlingus

Reaction score
Hello. I am getting a Genz Benz 2x12 ported cab to go with my mesa F 50 combo. The genz benz has 4,8, or 16 ohms connections. The mesa has two 4 ohms out and one 8 ohms(combo speaker is connected to this one). What would be the best way to hook up the cab? Also if I were to have both cabs connected(the combo and genz benz), what would be the best way to do that? Most of the time I plan on just using the genz benz though. Thanks guys.

If the Benz cab can be run at 8 ohms mono than use that. Unplug the combo's 8 ohm speaker from the 8 ohm jack and plug in your 8 ohm Benz cabinet.

If you want to run both the combo's speaker and the cab then plug them both into the 4 ohms jacks on the amp (two 8 ohm loads in parallel = 4 ohms).

Dom

I assume that the genz benz must be switchable having all those ohm ratings.
Most of mesas cabs if not all are 8 ohm. If you choose to use either cab or combo speaker alone I would go with the 8 ohm connection and make sure the genz benz is on 8 ohm. You can also switch the benz to 4 ohms and run it in one of the 4 ohm jacks,, which may sound better or worse.
If you plan on running both the benz and the combo speaker together which is where I think you will like it the best,,, make sure the benz is set to 8 ohm,, then plug both of them into the 4 ohm jacks.
If you dont have your manual you can visit boogies sight and download it.
It will explain in detail all the combonations that are safe.
I used to run a ROV combo on top of a 2x12 recto cab,,, both combo speaker at 8 ohms and the cab rated at 8 ohms ran into the two 4 ohm jacks.

thanks a lot guys. Can't wait till I get the new cab. Shipped yesterday so it should be here buy the end of the week I hope.

another question. Okay now I realize that the genz benz runs 4 or 16 ohms mono or 8 ohms / side stereo. If I don't want it stereo how could I run it with the combo cab? Also, do any of you like to run your cabs stereo?

ericlingus said:
another question. Okay now I realize that the genz benz runs 4 or 16 ohms mono or 8 ohms / side stereo. If I don't want it stereo how could I run it with the combo cab? Also, do any of you like to run your cabs stereo?

When running both the Combo Speaker and Benz Cab :
Use 16 ohm on the Benz and plug it into the 8 ohm jack on the amp.
Plug the Combo's 8 ohm speaker into the 4 ohm jack on the amp.
This exact senerio is listed as safe in the Mesa Manuals.

When running the Benz cab alone run it at 4 ohms and use the 4 ohm jack on the amp. (You could also run the Benz at 16 ohm and use the 8 ohm jack on the amp).

Dom

well the cab arrived today. I was a little off about the ohms. It has a 16 ohm mono jack and a 4 ohmn mono jack. To run it in stereo you need to run two cables. There are two 8 ohmn jack for it, one for each speaker. Would that be okay to run into the two 4 ohmn jacks on my f50? Right now I have it in 16 ohmn mono into the 8 ohmn jack on my amp. Another question, how can I run both cabs together? Thanks for the help so far. Much appreciated.

to run this amp stereo it says plug in the two 8 ohm jacks . Do I connect them to my mesa's two 4 ohm jacks or one into the 8 ohm one and the other into the 4 ohm?

ericlingus said:
to run this amp stereo it says plug in the two 8 ohm jacks . Do I connect them to my mesa's two 4 ohm jacks or one into the 8 ohm one and the other into the 4 ohm?

There's really no need to run in "stereo". Your amp is mono. Run your cab in mono.

If you must :roll: Use the 4 ohm jacks on the amp. Make sure the combo speaker IS NOT connected or you run the risk of too low of an impedence.

Dom

okay thanks. I tried runing it in stereo and only the right speaker worked. I went from the two 8 ohmn jacks on the genz benz into the two 4 ohmn jacks on the mesa. But when I hook it up in mono via the 16 ohmn jack into the 8 ohmn jack on the mesa it works fine.

Back