Connecting 2 cabs to my dual rectifier.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cerin

Reaction score
Hello all.

Probably a newbie question so apologies in advance...

I have two cabinets I would like to connect to my 3 channel dual rec. One cab is an Engl 4x12 v60 8 ohms mono. The second cab is a marshall jcm900 4x12 something cab.. either 8 or 4 ohms mono, I can't remember. My amp has one 16 ohm, two 8 ohm and two 4 ohm outputs.

I was recommended to connect the cabs in parallel. If both cabs are 8 ohm, the correct way would be to use one 4 ohm amp output to each 8 ohm cab input?

What do I do if the marshall cab is 4 ohm mono?

And just to be sure, if I only use my Engl, I must use an 8 ohm output to the 8 ohm cab input, right?

Thank you very much,

Ulrik Christiansen

Welcome Cerin.
I am far from expert on this question, but your owner's manual on mesa boogie.com does say you may have to remove the back of the speaker cabinet to determine it's ohm load, to be certain, and without doubt. That's a wise choice, IMHO.
Check the manual for the different speaker hook up scenarios.

The impedance of the speaker cabinets are extremely important to give the advise you ask.

To be safe never go lower than 4 ohms total load to the amp.

Normally:
The 16 ohm jack on the amp is for a 16 ohm cab (load).
The two 8 ohm jacks are for either a single 8 ohm cab (load), or two 16 ohm cabs as the jacks are in parallel.
The two 4 ohm jacks are for either a single 4 ohm cab (load), or two 8 ohm cabs as the jacks are in parallel.

What are the exact impedances of the cabinets you want to use?

As mentioned, your owners manual will show just about all the acceptable speaker hookups.

For reference: http://cie-wc.edu/Series_Parallel_9_14.pdf

Dom

Right... went through the manual and the pdf link from domct203. Got it all setup correctly now.

Thank you very much for your replies :)

Back