Confusion Reigns!!! Mark IV--Stiletto Ace--Lonestar Classic

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountain Fever

Reaction score
I just got home from spending a couple of hours going back and forth from amp to amp trying to dial in sounds. I love the LSC which really sounded full and lush including some time with an Eastman 805 archtop. The 10 watt setting was fine, but I think I like my LSS for the lower watt setting. The Stilleto was so different from anything I have ever owned; I really like it's unique sound pallette, but I wish I could have dialed in the LSC cleans on it (if that's possible). The Mark IV continues to frustrate me in that I see all the knobs, switches, etc that lead me to believe it can do most everything, but I think it's cleans do not sound as open and airy as the LSC and the breakup us less defined to my ears than the Stilleto.

I feel like a total idiot bouncing between all three of these in my mind trying to not make a mistake and get the wrong one.

I had some bad GAS today which could have gone to about $7500 if not for true restraint. The Martin Crosby-Stills-Nash Limited Edition was one of the best guitars I have ever played...that was GC at noon. The amps were at 2:00 with the Eastman Archtop at about 4:00 at Northridge Music.

Anyhow, I'd love to know what turned those of you who were considering Ace's, Mark IV's and LSC's to pick the one you ended up with.

Thanks!

what music are you looking to play?

to stereotype things out very broadly,
--lonestar=fender twin sound
--stilleto=marshall
--mark4=classic boogie dark clean and saturated smooth gain

cant play pool with a rop said:
Just remember to be patient and you'll be glad later. What your doing is right way to go about it. It'll come to you :)

Absolutley . Take your time and do your research .

I went through the same thing and after a couple months decided for what I do the Stiletto is the choice for me that being said I'm pretty sure the Recto is gonna go and a shiny new Lonestar will be taking her spot

Keep the recto, and on buy a used lonestar. By the way there is one used on DC craigslist for $900, it is a combo.
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/msg/377978352.html

wicked1 said:
I went through the same thing and after a couple months decided for what I do the Stiletto is the choice for me that being said I'm pretty sure the Recto is gonna go and a shiny new Lonestar will be taking her spot

Keep the recto, and on buy a used lonestar. By the way there is one used on DC craigslist for $900, it is a combo.
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/msg/377978352.html

I think its' just a matter of time before she goes although I've been playing her for the last six years and I got pretty attached it just isn't my style anymore. From the look down to the tone. I'll give it a couple months plug her back in and see how I feel if I fall in love again she stays if not she goes. By the way I'm in the other Washington. There was a studio in Seattle selling a Lonestar 2x12 for under a G but I didn't pull the trigger fast enough.':cry:'

It was the big tonal difference the Stiletto had compared to other Mesa's that sold me on it. I bought a 2x12 Ace and haven't looked back - lots of Mesa-type tones and lots of new tonal-territory to explore.

That being said, I'm saving my money for a Lonestar. That's my next Mesa.

A tip for trying out the Mark IV:

Open up the Manual PDF off of boogies site.
Print the "personal settings" page
Pull up some settings off grailtone and plug them into the sheet.

Then, bring that sheet with you when you go play test the Mark. It is really important that you do, otherwise, you probably won't be able to dial in a good sound, unless you sit there for a good hour or two figuring out the controls.

I have a MKIV and love it, but I went back and forth between the LSC and the Stilletto. I eventually settled on the Ace head. The MKIV's cleans are not as nice as the LSC, but they are still very good, just shy of awesome. The Stilletto Ace has tones that are so different than the MKIV that I thought it a compliment. The LSC is just too close tonally to the MKIV to justify buying it. Now, if I were rich, I'd have all three..... 8)

Latest posts

Back