Compressor - rackmount or stompbox?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holdsworth

Reaction score
I'm on the hunt for a decent compressor. There are a few I have my eye on at the moment, namely the Keeley compressor, Analogman, and the rackmounted dbx 160A.

What are your thoughts on rackmounted compressors, and do they have any real advantage over stompboxs? I'd also like any thoughts on what compressor would best suit a Mark IV combo. I'm looking to spend around 100 quid ($200), but I will stretch for the right unit. Cheers.

Most of the rack stuff is designed for PA.

I would check out the Barber Tone Press. It has a blend function that the other compressors don't have, let's you mix compressed and uncompressed sound.

ned said:
Most of the rack stuff is designed for PA.

I would check out the Barber Tone Press. It has a blend function that the other compressors don't have, let's you mix compressed and uncompressed sound.

Excellent idea!

Love my Keeley. It is not even the 4 knob model. 2 knobs, sustain and level and I put it in my rack and use it with my Mark IV rackmount. I turn it on and off via Midi using my Rockman Midi octopus.

Anyway, the Keeley compressor is awesome, just my opinion.

WillPlayForFood said:
Anyway, the Keeley compressor is awesome, just my opinion.

Yeah, I think Neil Zaza has one in his setup. How does that thing handle distortion? All I've heard from the website are corny chicken pickin' samples on clean, not all that informative really.

Holdsworth...I haven't had any issues with the Keeley on the distortion end. I have used it on Rhy 2 channel on my Mark IV to get some some sustain and pick attack. Again, I dig it and can't say I have tried the Barber Tone Press, yet I hear great things about that as well.

WillPlayForFood said:
Holdsworth...I haven't had any issues with the Keeley on the distortion end. I have used it on Rhy 2 channel on my Mark IV to get some some sustain and pick attack.

What I really want it for is to compress the distortion on the lead channel to get a little more sustain on tap (when I need it). Will it cope with this?

Another vote for the Barber Tone Press. I went through a bunch of compressor until I found the Barber. Great stuff!

+1 on the Barber! I just picked one of these up for my cleans, but it really does shine on the distortion too. set the blend and sustain around 12:00 and you get transparent sustain with NO artifacts. Beautiful pedal!

The Barber is a nice unit, but I like my analogman comp a little better. I think it has a bit more clarity and keeps the tone a bit "closer" to the original.

Zach

Go with the DBX 166XL:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/dbx-166XL-Dual-Compressor-Limiter?sku=183548

Back