Comparing Cleans-Express 5:50 vs Twin Reverb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laheart

Reaction score
I have about $1,200 for a new amp and am torn between the 5:50 Express 2-12 and a Twin Reverb. I play mostly clean with some overdrive using both single coils and humbuckers. If I had a larger budget I would go with the Lonestar Classic. I play small to medium sized venues. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Express 5:50 ALL THE WAY. After it gives you the clean you need, you have SO much more if you ever want it. Even if you only use channel 2 for an alternate clean or slight overdrive, its worth it right there. I can do so much more than the twin.

Thanks for the inputs. I'll look on ebay for the Lonestars. I do like to try before I buy but ebay is an option.

Laheart - I have an Express 5:50 1x12 and can safely say that it is great! The clean tone is the reason I bought it , but as Maury says there is so much more; the full range of tones from classic to modern (not quite Recto, however). It might not be as boutique-y as the Lonestar, but it has its own identity and the fact that it is small and light (40 lbs) definitely helps!

Cheers,

Richt :D

The more I hear about the 5:50 the more I am leaning that way. I'm going this week-end to try one out. Thanks again for the info.

I've had/have them both. The Twin is great at the clean sound, it's not built even half as solid as the Mesa IMHO. The Express has a sweet clean, and many more usable voices, when I place it on an amp stand I'm not afraid the back piece will snap and hit the speaker.

just my 2 cents here,, Yesterday I had the oppertunity to sit down and try out just about every currently produced boogie. I will admit right now I chose not to try an of the lonestars because im after a high gain amp. Next time I go, I will make it a point to try one.
Anyways one amp that stood out among all that I tried was the
5:50 2x12 combo. The cleans were excellent and this amp really has some serious gain potential. I was also impressed with the reverb because, of the boogies ive spent some time with the reverb on the 5:50 smoked the others. Real nice.
I never tried the twin reverb and would not attempt to bash it in any way but from poking around and really looking at the insides and build quality of the 5:50 I would have to assume the twin will be really hard pressed to compete with the boogie. Seriously nice amp.

It sounds to me like the 5:50 is getting great reviews. The only thing I was worried about was the clean headroom. I know the Twin has it but in a very heavy package, and I'm guessing that the build quality of the 5:50 is better. I don't play large venues but I wanted the headroom if I needed it.

laheart said:
It sounds to me like the 5:50 is getting great reviews. The only thing I was worried about was the clean headroom. I know the Twin has it but in a very heavy package, and I'm guessing that the build quality of the 5:50 is better. I don't play large venues but I wanted the headroom if I needed it.
I'll assure you the Mesa's build is studier than a Mexican made Twin, don't think the Mesa is a light amp either.

laheart said:
I thought the Twin Reverb reissue was made in Corona. I didn't know it was made in Mexico.
Now I'm confused, are you talking about the 57 or the 65? I was referring to the 65, it's the one I owned.

ol4t said:
laheart said:
I'll assure you the Mesa's build is studier than a Mexican made Twin, don't think the Mesa is a light amp either.

The Twin and Deluxe Reverb.... are made in Corona California

The Blues Jr. , Hot Rod Deluxe....are made in Mexico

The Twin is a Tank with a capital T
and has a great rep for durability

It is not light....then again, I still remember lumping my
Hardwood LSS from the dealers door to my car
a very memorable even...and it is a 1x12

I was concerned about the Clean headroom as well on the Express; 50 watts vs. 85 on the Twin. I have to say though, that after numerous rehearsals and a few gigs, the Express does hold its own, and is very very loud. With the gain at 12 o'clock and the Master at 10 o'clock, even light picking cuts through and once you dig in with your pick, you will most certainly be heard!

Richt :D

Richt: That's good to know. I not only will be using it live but also to record. I just need a really nice tube clean and it sounds like the Express will fit the bill.

rickc007 said:
ol4t said:
laheart said:

The Twin and Deluxe Reverb.... are made in Corona California

The Blues Jr. , Hot Rod Deluxe....are made in Mexico

The Twin is a Tank with a capital T
and has a great rep for durability

It is not light....then again, I still remember lumping my
Hardwood LSS from the dealers door to my car
a very memorable even...and it is a 1x12
:oops: ...and I had one until last year. I think the footswitch (says made in mexico) and the flimsy piece of wood across the back confused me.

Back