Compare a LSC to a 5:50 Express

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finnster

Reaction score
I am looking at both of these. Pros or cons of each? How do the clean channels compare? Can the LSC match the "heaviness" of the 5:50?

This will be run together with my MKIV combo for a stereo set-up.

Anyone have eperience with both?

The LSC does the clean/blues/rock thing better than just about any amp around. It does NOT do high gain. The Express are what I consider entry level Boogies and while very nice....to me they're not in the same league as the LSC.
I guess what I'm getting at is that you'll be hard pressed to find any Pro players adding an Express to their arsenal while the Lonestar was/is used by the likes of Petrucci and Timmons (mainly for the cleans).
Just my opinion, I own neither but I really liked the Classic when I tried it out. Both of the express series amps left me under-whelmed and I'm still trying to understand why they took the place of the F-series.

Finnster said:
I am looking at both of these. Pros or cons of each? How do the clean channels compare? Can the LSC match the "heaviness" of the 5:50?

This will be run together with my MKIV combo for a stereo set-up.

Anyone have eperience with both?

^^^thanks for the reply. I dont really need it for the gain, I am more interested in a dynamic 3-D bouncing clean like a Fender (i just cant really find a Fender that makes me happy) I cant find a LSC anywhere near me to play. GC told me they are special order only, seems strange to me.

Hey Finnster,

So, I have an Express 5:50 (1x12) and the other player in our band has an LSC (1x12)! How do they compare? I think they compare very favorably! When I was testing the Express, I played a Lonestar back-to-back with it (and others) and to my ears I didn't think the Lonestar was appreciably better (not the extra $$ better anyhow).

The Express 5:50 clean mode is excellent, and the reason that I got the amp! I play with humbuckers only (LP Standard and ES 333), and the sound is just beautiful - exactly what I was looking for! The Lonestar clean I feel is slightly better, but only slightly and to my ears it sounds a little too "nice". The Express seems to have a little more "attitude". Perhaps that is a function of the smaller cabinet?

Also, the fact that the Express has the footswitchable reverb is a big plus. BTW, the reverb on the Express is sweet! The Lonestar is renowned for its reverb, but I think the Express reverb sounds equally good. It doesn't have the reverb bright/dark control (or whatever its called), but that's trivial to me. The fact that the footswitch controls it makes up for that!

How are the gain sounds on the Express? To me they sound great! The crunch mode on channel 1 is a thick, harmonically rich tone that I wish you could clone for channel two (or was footswitchable). On channel 2, I use the Blues mode exclusively, and it has just enough added "bite" to cut through a mix. The Burn mode is the classic liquid Boogie-lead, which is certainly inspiring and sounds great too, but is not really my cup of tea.

The footswitchable contour control is nice, but I usually just leave the contour on as it is the icing on the cake of tone!

The 5 watt mode also sounds really nice, and allows for lower volume break-up.

For me, the amp is perfect. I have been playing for 30 years, and it absolutely represents my playing the way that I want it to. It is extremley responsive to dynamics, and it just oozes tone. I know that has been said before of other Boogies, but for the Express and for me with my axes it is true!

Finally, I use a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic with my Express, and let me say that using the rhythm channel on that with the Clean mode of the Express is just the best in crunch and classic rock power! Sweet!

Good luck in your quest, and whatever you decide it will be the right choice for you!

Cheers!

Richt

:D

Finnster, I would trust his review a little more than mine. While I believe my opinions are trustworthy, Richt actually plays the amp and has gotten a chance to dial in tones. I spent a total of 15 minutes with the Express and probably did not find the sweet spot. Now that being said, the LSC seems like it had many more "sweet" spots and was a breeze to find a great sound.
BTW - If high gain isn't an issue, you might be able to get a great deal on an F-50...the cleans are beautiful on that amp.

richt said:
Hey Finnster,

So, I have an Express 5:50 (1x12) and the other player in our band has an LSC (1x12)! How do they compare? I think they compare very favorably! When I was testing the Express, I played a Lonestar back-to-back with it (and others) and to my ears I didn't think the Lonestar was appreciably better (not the extra $$ better anyhow).

The Express 5:50 clean mode is excellent, and the reason that I got the amp! I play with humbuckers only (LP Standard and ES 333), and the sound is just beautiful - exactly what I was looking for! The Lonestar clean I feel is slightly better, but only slightly and to my ears it sounds a little too "nice". The Express seems to have a little more "attitude". Perhaps that is a function of the smaller cabinet?

Also, the fact that the Express has the footswitchable reverb is a big plus. BTW, the reverb on the Express is sweet! The Lonestar is renowned for its reverb, but I think the Express reverb sounds equally good. It doesn't have the reverb bright/dark control (or whatever its called), but that's trivial to me. The fact that the footswitch controls it makes up for that!

How are the gain sounds on the Express? To me they sound great! The crunch mode on channel 1 is a thick, harmonically rich tone that I wish you could clone for channel two (or was footswitchable). On channel 2, I use the Blues mode exclusively, and it has just enough added "bite" to cut through a mix. The Burn mode is the classic liquid Boogie-lead, which is certainly inspiring and sounds great too, but is not really my cup of tea.

The footswitchable contour control is nice, but I usually just leave the contour on as it is the icing on the cake of tone!

The 5 watt mode also sounds really nice, and allows for lower volume break-up.

For me, the amp is perfect. I have been playing for 30 years, and it absolutely represents my playing the way that I want it to. It is extremley responsive to dynamics, and it just oozes tone. I know that has been said before of other Boogies, but for the Express and for me with my axes it is true!

Finally, I use a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic with my Express, and let me say that using the rhythm channel on that with the Clean mode of the Express is just the best in crunch and classic rock power! Sweet!

Good luck in your quest, and whatever you decide it will be the right choice for you!

Cheers!

Richt

:D

Thank you both for the insight/reviews. I guess I should really make a second attempt to find both at one store and try them side-by-side with my own guitar.

This is truly a great forum!

The LSC does have footswitchable reverb actually. So does the LSS. All you need is a garden-variety on/off pedal to plug into the tightly-nooked input jack near the far end of the power tubes (underneath).

TheRazMeister said:
Finnster, I would trust his review a little more than mine. While I believe my opinions are trustworthy, Richt actually plays the amp and has gotten a chance to dial in tones. I spent a total of 15 minutes with the Express and probably did not find the sweet spot. Now that being said, the LSC seems like it had many more "sweet" spots and was a breeze to find a great sound.
BTW - If high gain isn't an issue, you might be able to get a great deal on an F-50...the cleans are beautiful on that amp.

I own an Express and F-Series, and have played the Lonestar. I agree with you about the LSC having more "sweet spots." The F-Series was probably the hardest to dial in for me. Or maybe the Express was just easier because it has a similar layout to the F-Series. However, out of the 3 for high gain, I would def recommend the F-Series.

I have had both the 5:50 and the LSC (and now the LSS and RK II :lol: ).

I can tell you that the 5:50 is an abslute killer amp. The only reason I got rid of it is because I found it duplicated what I already had in my RK II cleans...gues what? The LSC. And in thre lead dept. I have a MKIV for that.

But if I could only have one (with a great lead/crunch/blues/cleans).....I can careless about wo's playing what, I'd go for the 5:50. But if I wanted the absolute best Texas Tone, and the greatest cleans with the sweetest reverb, I'd go for the LSC

My express 5.25 has a GREAT clean channel and reverb and I am a Fenderholic. To intimate that they are not pro level amps is sheer stupidity. If the lsc sounds better to you great..............enjoy.

My point was not that they aren't pro level amps...just that when compared to other amps with similar attributes, they aren't necessarily a 1st choice, whereas the LSC is.

Cowbell Fever said:
My express 5.25 has a GREAT clean channel and reverb and I am a Fenderholic. To intimate that they are not pro level amps is sheer stupidity. If the lsc sounds better to you great..............enjoy.

TheRazMeister said:
My point was not that they aren't pro level amps...just that when compared to other amps with similar attributes, they aren't necessarily a 1st choice, whereas the LSC is.

Hmm... Maybe I have to hear an LSC again, but based on my experience I'd take an Express over a Lonestar anyday! That said the Express (took it back) wasn't for me either and I got an F-50.

Not to start some new thread but....I played a Fender Super Sonic yesterday and it was nice! Seemed to rival some of the LCS clean tones.
Dont flame me :D Maybe another option.

The Andy Timmons stuff is pretty cool. He gives examples of how the amp sounds prior to adding the BB boost in the 1st video and the 2nd is a instructional clip (I think) . When I stop gigging, I'll trade my ROV and whatever else and just plant a Lonestar in my living room. 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiW22O914Cg&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrHy2o_Q-Fk&mode=related&search=

NuSkoolTone said:
TheRazMeister said:

Hmm... Maybe I have to hear an LSC again, but based on my experience I'd take an Express over a Lonestar anyday! That said the Express (took it back) wasn't for me either and I got an F-50.

TheRazMeister said:
The Andy Timmons stuff is pretty cool. He gives examples of how the amp sounds prior to adding the BB boost in the 1st video and the 2nd is a instructional clip (I think) . When I stop gigging, I'll trade my ROV and whatever else and just plant a Lonestar in my living room. 8)

Well geez, if THAT guy couldn't make ANY amp sound great! Very cool stuff.

The dirt sound before the BB is a good tone for sure, though I like a little more gain as well. Not sure about how I feel having to add a pedal to get it though. In the end, what matters if it works for you.

I agree about the gain channel...that's why I made the comment about if my gigging days were over I'd get an LSC . For right now, I like having the natural gain that my Rectoverb gives me, but when I get to the point that my living room is my stage, I want an amp that is as pure sounding as the Lonestar (for cleans and gain)

NuSkoolTone said:
TheRazMeister said:

Well geez, if THAT guy couldn't make ANY amp sound great! Very cool stuff.

The dirt sound before the BB is a good tone for sure, though I like a little more gain as well. Not sure about how I feel having to add a pedal to get it though. In the end, what matters if it works for you.

I had a LSC head and 2x12 cabinet and sold it for a 5:50 1x12. I don't play much right now and I wanted something that would go from 1-10 in terms of gain. The LSC goes from 1-6 better than the EXP goes from 1-6, but the EXP goes from 6-10. The LS really sounds nice, and offers great options like switchable solid state or tube rectifier. The 2nd channel of the LS can either be clean or overdriven somewhat.

I pondered keeping the LSC and also ordering an ACE, but I came to my senses and resisted the GAS.

Some may say that an amp is "Pro" or "Not Pro"; IMHO all Mesa Boogie amps are Pro. That is until Mesa starts making unreliable $499 combos overseas.

NuSkoolTone said:
TheRazMeister said:

What did you find in the F-50 that couldn't be found in the 5:50? Does the 5:50 have the gain of the F-50? Reverb is much better in the Express series.

Back