Comfortably Numb solo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez77

Reaction score
I was hoping to be able to get some help in finding a good tone for both solo's In Comfortably numb. I've played around in both chanel 2 and 3, And found channel 3 to be closer to what I need, but still haven't found what i'm looking for, Setting suggestions and or pedals that may work would be very helpful. I'm not trying to 100% nail the tone on the album, I'm just looking for something that sounds sweet and rich and close to what is on the album. Enough to pass for the original and sound great in a live setting. My guitar for this I think will be my fender American Deluxe strat, but I also have passive humbuckers and active humbuckers available for use if someone thinks I may have more luck with those. And I am currently just using: guitar into a wah and a tuner and straight to the Mark V.

Help is greatly appreciated and Thank you in advance :)

Well for a David Gilmour kind of tone you ideally would want some effects such as a chorus/delay/phaser and a fuzz pedal such as a Big Muff but I'm sure you can find something. I wish I could help give some settings but I don't have a single coil guitar yet, and I havent tried it with humbuckers. best of luck!

For Gilmour tone I've always used a Chandler (R/M) through my Studio pre w/ tons of liquidy delay, a tad of compression, dash of chorus. But my experience is limited with a MkV. My advice...start cleaner than you'd think, quite a bit of mids,and work up slowly till you get just the slightest bit of dirt with hard picking and guitar up full. Then back down your guitar 1/4 and add a touch of O/D to the front of the amp. This will give you some options on how much or how little you're choosing to dirty up your signal. That's how I did it anyway. YMMV.

When we play this, I use my Phil Hilborne Fat Treble Booster into Ch2 Crunch. Then have a tweaked Eventide vintage delay. Certainly does the trick for me.

Cheers Rich

I use the IIC+ mode, two basics you def need, fuzz and delay, I usually use my McCarty, neck for first lead and bridge for second, I dont usually split them as they usually are a little thinner on their own. I use a Hardwire delay, and either a Lunar Module or even my cheap MI Blues in the fuzz mode sounds great, so not much money can get you there really fast.

This is a pretty cool article on the topic:

http://www.pinkfloyd-co.com/band/interviews/djg/djg96.html

It is hard to capture the solo without some delay in there, a big delay. I actully a P-90 worked best in the neck position. I found a single coil neck wasn't quite big enough and a humbucker did quite let me pinch some notes and have that bit of shimmer. The P90 seemed to have more girth and brightness combined. I run on the Mark IV mode in Ch 3, neck pickup on an Anderson Hollow T (the hollow helps too with the big tone). Slight chorus and a big delay with 3 fading repeats.

Latest posts

Back