Combo vs Head Mark IIC+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cander328

Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a hardwood combo cab and extension cab as a new house for my Mark IIC+ but am now considering a head/2 cab configuration. Are there significant differences in sound quality when using a separate head and extension cab vs a combo? I would imagine that the combo is more prone to rattling at high volumes.

Thanks

I know I can't answer your question but I guess it does depend upon the combination of cabinets you choose; for the 1 x 12” arrangement you could go for two open cabs, open & thiele (closed & ported) or two thiele cabs. Personally I like the combination of an open back cabinet along with the thiele cabinet; in which case you can go either way. I believe the closed ported thiele cabinet gives you a tighter bottom end - but I will leave that up to the guys here who have greater knowledge than me to confirm / explain.
Another aspect to look at is who carries your gear around? A fully loaded combo, especially with an EV, weighs a lot (not sure of the exact figure, but I know it nearly kills me) so a head and two cabs may be a more agreeable route to take. Just a thought
Ian

Back