Closing up the back of an LS?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

messaboog1e

Reaction score
Since some are making their pig rigs into head/cab combinations, would boxing up more of the open backed combo help? Some mention a closed back cab makes a TON of difference for unmudding the low end. Could that same theory be used to seal up a 1x12 combo?

I feel I'm so close to loving this LS and don't have the cash for a 2x12 recto cab right now. And too many people have said the C90's are better than a V30 for a replacement.

Yes....the weight was an issue. But I thought I read some swearing a closed back cab helped clean up the low end. Is there any other reason to use the closed back cab besides the weight? Thanks in advance.

Keep in mind:
A complete closing off of the back...would result in serious tube overheating. You could however increase the heighth of the lower backboard...but don't go higher than the bottoms of the power tubes.
Charles

Thanks Charles. I was going to raise it up but make sure to let enough air in to cool off those tubes. Tubes are brand new and don't feel like getting new ones just yet!

When people say 'muddy' just take it w/ a grain of salt as mud can mean so many different things.
In general a closed back will provide tighter thumping low and the sound is more forward or directed. Open back has less bass and the sound is more 3-D as you also get reflecting sound from the rear walls of the room, so placement is more of a factor here. In either case, you'll need to set the control differently to get the tone you want. Either can be 'muddy' or not. Typically you'd use open or closed for the tone what you're after and not to fight 'mud'.

Back