Closest Mesa Head to Subway Rocket

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brungio

Reaction score
I have a nice 1x12 cab that i'd like to pair up with a smaller wattage head for small gigs. 20 watts sounds like about right. Of course it would help if it were lighter weight.

I know the Subway series is about the same output but don't see any reference to a head version of that. I know there's the DC-3 but wasn't sure if there's another model that is voiced like the Subway and comes in head format.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

The Subways did indeed come in head format. You might still be able to have Mesa make you an enclosure for a Rocket combo. They were, for lack of a better word... very cute. :oops:

I used to gig with a Rocket combo and it sounded so much better live than at home. Sorry I sold it.

The Rocket is the amp so many people upgrade from...and then regret massively (myself included)

The F-30 came as a short head, if you want to go second hand, and was a close-ish successor to the Rocket. Maybe check out the Transatlantic heads as well.

I had an F-30 combo before getting the Mark III. The cleans were nice and chimey, and the lead channel was very sweet especially with the contour option to give it the modern Mesa voicing. My friend had a Rocket 440 and always missed it, but to me the F-series was a definite upgrade for a player, having almost Lonestar-like cleans and (now what sounds like) the Lead channel from the Express series.

The DC-3/F-30 headd sounds like a nice possibility if I can't find a Subay. I have a DC-5 head and a TOV but need something that's more portale now that I'm in a second band and am shuttling gear in and out of rehearsal spaces.

I like the idea of the TAs but they are new and still a little pricey. Since this will end up being my fourth amp I can't make a major investment.

Mark Fore said:
The Subways did indeed come in head format. You might still be able to have Mesa make you an enclosure for a Rocket combo. They were, for lack of a better word... very cute. :oops:

Really? I've never seen a factory Subway head. Great idea though.

Back