Cleaning tolex

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanboy

Reaction score
What do you guys use to clean and shine your tolex? I'd like to get my black tolex looking new again.

I use a fingernail brush and a little bit of soapy water. I don't put Armor All or anything on it because it doesn't look right.

I don't clean an amp unless I just bought it and it's really dirty or smelly.

I've used diluted Simple Green with decent results on a few amps that had a very strong smoky odor (non-smoker myself, fairly intolerant of the smell.) Simple Green has a weird/off-putting smell of its own, but it's less objectionable to me and it fades away within a few weeks.

If the amp is covered in carpet, there's only one solution - I reach for the contact cement and tolex :)

i don't know if this is harmful to tolex or vinyl but I've used window cleaner like Windex.

I'll stop using it if it is harmful to tolex.

Good suggestions, all. There's rarely a one-fits-all answer, so you just have to keep trying until something works.
I like simple household white vinegar. Cheap, it's sold by the gallon in the mayonnaise aisle. It's a mild acid, and leaves no residue, except you might work up an appetite for a nice Cobb or Caesar.
WD-40 for sticky residue. Spray it on a paper towel first, the rub it on the affected area. (You know what I mean, you little pervs.) Naphtha, as in lighter fluid, works too, but keep it away from nitro finishes, because it'll dissolve them like paint thinner. Oops!

I use generic cleaning wipes from the grocery store (not automotive/armor all), then wipe dry with a paper towel. Works perfectly.

My amps were beginning to look a but dull. Mark IV and Mesa Rec 412 cab are now 14 years old. Some of the dust was hard to remove. I will use a vacuum to clean the grill. I have used turtle wax liquid polish vinyl protector on the Tolex. Made both cabinets look new. I buffed it out with a microfiber cloth. Did that about 6 months ago and they still look great. Try to avoid products that contain high amounts of ammonia or petroleum distillates. If you use such products, use it sparingly and don't over do it.

I've had good results from Meguiar's Leather and Vinyl cleaner for tolex with deep stains. Especially on creme/white tolex.

I buy various vinyl fabrics from time to time for speaker cabinet builds, and my supplier specifically suggests Fantastik, 409 or similar products for cleaning vinyl (alcohol-based cleaners).

The best I've found is Formula 409 and a scrub brush, just spray and scrub, the amp looks shiny and new when you're done. And naptha from Home Depot for any sticky residue.

Latest posts

Back