Clean channel help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Hetfield

Reaction score
I am having trouble getting a solid volume out of my clean channel without it becoming to "gainy". I have been using the solo switch to boost it but I would like to be able to get the volume I need without the solo's help....any suggestions?

Yea, OK what kind of amp? I have a LSC 1X12 and I just run it at 100 watts, with the gain no more than 11 O clock, and turn the volume where ye want it. I'ts pretty clean this way for my taste.

Wisch
CleO

On a humbucker equipped guitar, use the middle position (both pups) for a cleaner sound! If equipped, try tapping the single coil(s) for a cleaner sound! Less mids on that channel may help also!

Heres my theory on clean tones out of a recto:
Its all about Power amp volume!! This is where you get the nice tube squeeze that you want in the clean channel (and well....all channels)to make the notes squeeze just enough to give them some edge and soak up the dig-in of your playing or stay nice and full when playing soft. Turn all of your B-M-T(bass-midle-treble) controls off. Turn the presence all of the way up(MAXED). The practical theory here is to turn your power amp volume to about 1 oclock (or all of the way up depending on how much squeeze you want) and then start with the preamp or channel volume all of the way off and start turning the preamp volume up to your desired playing volume(youll need to do this on the other 2 channels as well to match the volumes). This will give you balance and great tone @ a resonable volume. I use this almost like a power attinuator or a soak. Now take the Gain and peg it(turn it all of the way up!). You may notice that it gets muddy and loud about this time but youll dial this out with the tone controls. Now start with the bass control and start turning it up while your alternate-picking an open low D if you play in dropped D or an open E if you play in standard untill you cant "feel" the note any more and it starts to get flabby and uncontrolable. Now turn the bass knob back to the point that you can feel the note again--I found this @ about 10 oclock with my Gibson SG with Dragon II's in it. Now take the mid control and alternate pick the same note untill you can feel the note and then back it off slightly to provide a nice soft attack but still keep a slight edge for feel. I found this on mine right @ about 8:45 oclock. Next take the treble control and start turning it up while alternate picking the same note untill you get just the right amount of sparkle without getting harsh and then probably turn it back slightly to give you room to dig into your notes before the edge hits. Now go back to your channel master volume knob and turn it down or up to your final desired volume. This should be super glassy and bell-like with a nice compressed sparkle that has dynamics for you to dig in and get a slight break-up or play soft and get beauty. If its really broken up-try tuning down the mids to dial it out. If its flabby-try turning down the bass. If its harsh try turning down the Treble. Let me know how this works out for you! :wink:

Mr.Hetfield said:
I am having trouble getting a solid volume out of my clean channel without it becoming to "gainy". I have been using the solo switch to boost it but I would like to be able to get the volume I need without the solo's help....any suggestions?

What amp are you using (we are going to be sarcastic cunts until we know what you are playing through :wink: )?
Micah had a rather in-depth description of how to tweak out gain....mine is much more basic. Crank the channel volume all the way up, and crank the gain all the way down. Then....turn the gain back up to your desired volume. If you are still getting unwanted gain, try changing your James Hetfield signature model guitar out for something a tad less intrusive, like maybe a Strat.
Funny how high gain pups can just ruin your whole day :D

(don't mean to be a dick....but you didn't give us much to work with :wink: ) I'm really a fun guy to hang out with :D At least my 2 year old thinks so...

Latest posts

Back