Classic

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThomasGronli

Reaction score
Hi!

First post here, and sadly I currently do not own a Mesa, but going going to order a Lone Star tomorrow! :D Which is why I'm posting here! :wink:

Currently thinking of buying a head+1x12 cab, as the 1x12 ext cab is open back like a combo, and also gives the advantage of the head being separated from the cab. This will probably make transport easier for me, hopefully reduce rattling, and it makes me able to switch cab in the future as well. So I wonder what the advantages of having a combo in this situation are, except that it is less pricy?
I'll probably go with 1x12 instead of 2x12, since I read in another topic that it seems that most LS-users are most satisfied with the tone from single-speaker cabs. Any opinions here?

I personally prefer the tone from LSC to LSS. Have only been able to try the LSS, and I liked it a lot, but sound clips of the LSC are so sweet in my ears.
What concerns me the most is that the LSC maybe is too loud for my purpose, so my question here is how much you can reduce output by for example switching to 6v6 tubes. Going to use it for everything from bedroom to medium-sized gigs, and will probably mic it then, so not interested in a beast that blows ears out. I realize that LSS is best suited for this application, but I find the tone from LSC more appealing.

Long post, but any help deciding between these two beauties is appreciated! :)

Oh, btw, I play mostly countryrock-style music :)

-Thomas

Welcome to the board.

I have a 50w REC head and it is very loud. But for clean licks like a Keith Urban 'Stupid Boy' lick I can dial it back a bit and a compressor I just picked up puts the finishing touch on it. Have never played a Lonestar but lots of others boogies in Guitar Center. They are all loud, but so are the little tube Egnaters, Dr. Z, etc. My MKV will dial back and play clean and slight breakup pretty good at lower volumes, again the comp helps alot. I like heads myself for the same reasons of flexiblity and convenience you mention.

Good luck on your tone quest.

Peace

Welcome to the board.
I own a 212 LSC combo. I play rock, blues, funk, etc. on big and small stages and run everything, all the time on the 50 watt setting (both channels) and on the "tweed" voltage setting. One band I play in tends towards mellower, low volume stuff (Crosby, Still, Nash, Paul Simon, Indigo Girls, Eagles, etc.), but we also crank towards the heavier end of some of these artists as well. My own band rocks a bit harder and is a bit louder, but we still keep it very much out of the ear bleeding realm. The LSC does it all and does it at a volume that sound guys like. I use a "standback" tiltback floor stand for most situations and tend on all stages towards moderate master volumes (from 11:00 to 1:00). Personally I think the LSS wouldn't have the headroom I need and I have heard others say the same. 30 to 50 watts is a big enough jump that it seems to make a difference.

Mark

The way you talk about it, I think you'll be happier with the LSC. The volume is manageable. 6V6s help for sure, though they change the character somewhat. But it still sounds amazing. I play at home a lot, and I definitely budget certain times of day to get my rocks off on the Drive channel, so as not to disturb too many neighbors, but it's really not a big problem to get a satisfying tone out of it. The Clean channel sounds great at all levels.

I think the head + cab is the way to go, I'm in the middle of converting mine to this config. The combo sounds terrific, but it's a beast... it'll wear you down after a while. The extra flexibility of the head is something I'm quite excited about. I don't think you'll be dissatisfied with a decent 1x12, especially any Mesa 1x12. The Lone Star cabs look and probably sound fantastic, as they have some girth and will not sound boxy or beamy by any means. I'm getting something closer to a Thiele, different maker, but I was seriously considering springing for the Mesa. I had my hands on a Mesa 3/4 back 1x12 for a short time, which is the same exact size as the LSC combo, but 25 lbs lighter and it sounded like a 4x12.

I like your plan, carry on!

Thanks so much for fantastic and clarifying responses, love this forum already!
Ordered a LSC head and a LS 1x12 cab based on your replies, and my new amp is expected to be delivered within one month. Can't wait! Will post pics when it arrives :)

Again thanks so much!

-Thomas

Great choice! I got my LSC head and LS 1x12 cab three months ago and it's beautiful. You can get great lower volume tones with the 10 watt setting in either tweed or full power. With the 1x12 cab you'll get huge, room filling cleans and sweet, punchy gain tones. A very versatile amp. You're gonna love it.

I also prefer the 1x12 cabs.

I have a LSC 1x12 combo on top of an open back 3/4 1x12 combo. I thought it was a way to get closer to the classical Mark series arrangement with an open back combo and a Thiele cab.

the LSC is a great amp... I've had two memorable amps: 65 Twin & 60s Marshall. My LSC is in that company. I used the EL84 amps (Nomad & 20/20) for sometime... but switched to a 6L6 tube sound... more what I grew up on... I changed from a 1X12 Widebody (Vintage 30s) to a vertical 2X12 (V-30) -- Each cabinet has it's own type of sound. I'm thinking of changing one of the spkrs in my cabinet - seems Vintage 30s are so "unpopular" -- I've found them to need lots of playing to get warm... this is the first solid back cabinet I've had them loaded; The vibe I get is mixing another speaker is pretty cool in these cabinets. The clean Ch1 -- is stellar ... the amp loves pedals... I now run it 100w mode all the time... I can still play a small room...better with an open back cabinet... I've learned how to get some good ODs using pedals and Ch2.
There are some boutique amp aficionados that really like the Lonestars... did I mention the reverb??? Nice and warm... old school springs. There is a lot you can do with this amp... enjoy

ThomasGronli said:
Thanks so much for fantastic and clarifying responses, love this forum already!
Ordered a LSC head and a LS 1x12 cab based on your replies, and my new amp is expected to be delivered within one month. Can't wait! Will post pics when it arrives :)

Again thanks so much!

-Thomas

It is possible to go the 6V6 route and even (I didn't know this before joining this forum) EL84s if you use a yellow jacket adaptor. Both of these will change the sound of the amp somewhat, but allow a bit lower volume. Personally I use JJ Tubes and order them from Eurotubes. Tell them you use a Lonestar (LSC or LSS) and they will get the right biased tubes for you. JJs are much tighter on the low end and a bit glassier on the top end with a "woodier" sound that the Mesa tubes don't seem to have. I use 6L6s after trying EL34s (I just found that a mid range heavy amp did not need more oomph in that dept.) The guys at Eurotubes are top notch as well. They will get you set up right.

Mark

toneguy86 said:
It is possible to go the 6V6 route and even (I didn't know this before joining this forum) EL84s if you use a yellow jacket adaptor. Both of these will change the sound of the amp somewhat, but allow a bit lower volume. Personally I use JJ Tubes and order them from Eurotubes. Tell them you use a Lonestar (LSC or LSS) and they will get the right biased tubes for you. JJs are much tighter on the low end and a bit glassier on the top end with a "woodier" sound that the Mesa tubes don't seem to have. I use 6L6s after trying EL34s (I just found that a mid range heavy amp did not need more oomph in that dept.) The guys at Eurotubes are top notch as well. They will get you set up right.

Mark

Hey, thanks! That is a great piece of info! Checked out their site, and that seemed to cover a broad range of tubes. And their FAQ-section was PERFECT, it cleared up most of my questions about tubes. I don't think, however, that I will use EL34(or EL84 with yellow jacket), because the main reason why I chose the Classic was simply because I liked the warm american tone from it a little better than the more bright british-voiced Special and Stiletto, which, if I'm not wrong, are EL84 and EL34-amps. I hope the 10-watt option on the LoneStar v2 allows me to achieve nice, creamy breakup at reasonably low volumes, while still having a lot of headroom for cleans with the 50- and 100-watt option.

Will definitely experiment with some from Eurotubes tho!

ThomasGronli said:
toneguy86 said:

Mark

Hey, thanks! That is a great piece of info! Checked out their site, and that seemed to cover a broad range of tubes. And their FAQ-section was PERFECT, it cleared up most of my questions about tubes. I don't think, however, that I will use EL34(or EL84 with yellow jacket), because the main reason why I chose the Classic was simply because I liked the warm american tone from it a little better than the more bright british-voiced Special and Stiletto, which, if I'm not wrong, are EL84 and EL34-amps. I hope the 10-watt option on the LoneStar v2 allows me to achieve nice, creamy breakup at reasonably low volumes, while still having a lot of headroom for cleans with the 50- and 100-watt option.

Will definitely experiment with some from Eurotubes tho!

EL34s vs. 6L6s: I really think this amp does American tone well. It's not a "british" voiced amp with either tube type. My issue is overkill on the mids with this amp. This may have been done purposefully to balance single coil guitars (not sure), but it can get out of hand with Les Pauls, etc. It seems EL34s, E34Ls (a version of the original that JJ makes), etc. really push things even more in that dept. to the point where you cant' dial it out on some stages.

You'll love he service there (Eurotubes). They really bend over backwards to make sure you get what you need and they ship fast.

I can't speak to the 10 watt setting. I have one of the original models with only the 50/100 option, but it makes sense.

Mark

Latest posts

Back