Classic jazz tone out of a 5:25 1x10

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_iggi

Reaction score
I am looking for a good starting point to get a classic jazz tone out of a 5:25 1x10 with a T-style guitar with P90 pickups. Should I stop trying to get something like this from the clean channel and try a different approach? Cheers!

Try the Blues mode with the gain set real low, like 9:00.

Warm jazzy tone is part of why I chose a 5:50 over the 5:25.

try an external box with at least one 12" speaker...you just can't get fat tones with 10" speaker no matter what amp you're using...

I don't find the Clean channel all that useful even though I play mostly clean on a stratocaster. I mostly stay in Crunch, but I don't use a pick.

I have played many a jazz gigs with my 5:25 1x10.

I use a Gibson ES-135 with 57 classics.

25w mode. Clean channel.

gain 11 o clock
Treble 1 o clock
Mids 3 o clock
bass around noon.

I usually start with something like this and adjust accordingly on the gig. just make sure you mic the outer edge of the speaker. There are no jazz tones to be found center mic'ed.

-JUS-

JUS said:
I have played many a jazz gigs with my 5:25 1x10.

I use a Gibson ES-135 with 57 classics.

25w mode. Clean channel.

gain 11 o clock
Treble 1 o clock
Mids 3 o clock
bass around noon.

I usually start with something like this and adjust accordingly on the gig. just make sure you mic the outer edge of the speaker. There are no jazz tones to be found center mic'ed.

-JUS-

I use the same guitar (and others) with my 5:50. It's a great guitar! What a neck!!!

That's a lot of mids. It must sound really punchy. I generally set the mids on my clean channel to about 11.

I use a Sennheiser e906 near the edge of the speaker cone.

I'm no expert on jazz, but I'd try running the gain up as high as you can with out hitting breakup on the clean mode to round out the tone. Contour off.

My 5:25 always seems to thin out as the volume is raised. Just a trait of the 5:25 ?

Is another speake cab an option ?

J.J said:
Is another speake cab an option ?

I am using the 5:25 in the 1x12 combo with a Scumback M75 with large dust cap. The speaker is a great match for most settings that I have tried.

But the gain in the clean channel has been below noon all the time. Later tonight I will try it with the gain over noon.

Neck pickup, roll the guitar tone back some.
I had a 5:50, which had a very Fendery clean channel with its 6L6s, but I don't know if the 5:25 has the same clean sound, as EL-84 tubes are strong in the mids.
So keep the mids low on the amp, which may mean boosting the highs and lows. It's the same thing.
(Many don't realize the Tube Screamer doesn't boost the mids like everybody thinks, it cuts the bass and treble. The other way around works, too.)

Just how loud do you need to go, anyway? My cleans live in the Blues channel: much more round and warm than the Clean channel. While I prefer the hair on the edges, you can get spanky clean with the main up and channel-gain low ...contour off, treb down, and you are in round-tone-city. Not sure how much clean headroom you'll have, but I know my 525 can stay clean at a surprising loud volume. But it also is worth noting that I've also "gained down" the amp with a mullard AT7 in the PI position as well as old-stock RCA 84s. Try the amp's knobs first. And if that doesn't quite get you there, it's likely your tubes are providing that "hard" tone. FWIW, I've always preferred my Marks, DC, and now my 525 gained down and edges softened ...this is how I like my Boogies :)

Edward

I've got a Mullard at7 in my pi too. (5:25) Regular GT gold pins for power though. Got a Jan Phillips and a Sylvania ax7 in V2 & V1. Tamed mine up some too but gave me more useable volume on the master. Nice smooth round tone. I get some NICE fat jazz tone with my 12" cab coupled with an old Yamaha 8x10 cab.....Yamaha SG with a SD Jazz pickup......clean channel with gain 7-8, treble up past noon, mid/bass way down. On mine, the more you crank the gain on the clean, the fatter it gets....more bass. It reacts very differently from any of the other channels gain-wise. I get most of my volume from the gain/treble and turn the master way down. The Duncan Jazz makes a big old fat sound on its own. Waaaayy fatter than the Pearly Gates ..also in my Yamaha SG.

Latest posts

Back