Chorus suggestions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhguitar1

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked, but I am looking for an affordable but decent chorus to use for the clean tone on my Roadster. I have tried the small clone and the Liquid Chorus. How about the Boss Chorus Ensemble? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Any suggestions are appreciated

I haven't really found a "bargain" in a quality chorus pedal- I would rather not have a chorus pedal than simply "settle" for one that is "good enough".
The following are spendy, but can be found on eBay for far less than buying new. I do not care for the Boss units other than an old CE-2 or the original CE-1.
YMMV.....

DLS Chorus/Vibe or Ultra Chorus II
Retrosonic Chorus
Analogman Clone or Bichorus
Redwitch Empress
Diamond Halo
TC Electronic SCF

The TC Nova Modulator may be a great choice- the other Nova pedals are very good (and a great value for the money), but I have yet to check one out personally.

Hope this helps-

Laskyman

There is some good info here in some earlier threads:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=5782

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=26874

Try as many units as possible in all price ranges and you should find what you like... and honestly, as you will probably end up spending a bit more than you budgeted for anyway, I must agree with Laskman's suggestions... all great units!

My preference will always be a TC SCF... magic to my ears and an investment that has served me well for over 20 years! However, I am also getting some delicious chorus effects from my Eventide Timefactor. Putting these two pedals together gets things pretty close to what can only be called a 'religious experience'... 8)

I've got the Liquid Chorus and don't like it all that well. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with it for a while(you know $$$)! My old Boss CE-2 was a whole lot nicer sounding. I practically gave it away some years ago to get another guitar, but oh well....I'm really leaning towards an old Boss unit off of ebay to get exactly what I want. Sometimes you can find a deal there.

It's not a bargain, but the Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus is pretty sweet sound! Wish I hadn't sold mine.

And they have that defective stomp switch problem ironed out now, too.....

I have a CE-1 that I use on my roadster an I really like it, for me it is just enough and quite easy to set up and get a good sound out of.

I got an Arion SCH-1 and it sounds great. Good luck finding one, try eBay cause they have been out of production for a while.

ned said:
The MXR M-134 sounds pretty good.

+1. I have one and it sounds great. Its leaving to go to its new home this week though cuz I picked up a TC2290. Now the chorus in that thing is amazing, but its very pricey.

The MXR is killer though. I like it because it has the button to filter the chorus from muddying up your low end.

Laskyman said:
Any suggestions are appreciated
The TC Nova Modulator may be a great choice- the other Nova pedals are very good (and a great value for the money), but I have yet to check one out personally.

Got my son a Nova Modulator for xmas. I tried it, and it sounds great. Not a dedicated chorus per say, has quite a lot of features.

I have two on my board. An early 80's Arion Stereo Chorus, and a Fulltone Choralflange. Most of the time, I use the Choralflange for the flanger, but it can do the old Boss CE1 sound as well as the TC Electronics chorus. The Arion is just a nice smooth clear chorus. There are plenty of good ones out there, you just gotta try 'em.

RB

Latest posts

Back