Choosing pickups for my two RG's thoughts..

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Headtrip

Reaction score
I have a 10 year old Ibanez rg 570 stock pickups and a 2007 rgt6ex fx solid body which have Emgs in it and want to change them both to have the same bridge pickups and keep the stock v8 in the head section. I play alot of Disturbed\ sevendust feel music and really want to choose the right pickup for my guitars. I play thru my dual rec and want my pinch's to sing and hear the clarity of strummed out chords in distortion. I like the v7 if they were not so muddy and flat sounding. Anyone have any thoughts on these pickups and maybe help me decide. Also I am selling the Emgs I took out which are 81 85 anyone intrested let me know im asking $100 for both.

Thanks
AJ

My choices are

Seymor duncan

SH-12 George Lynch Screamin Demon Humbucker

SH-4 JB Humbucker Pickup

Seymour Duncan Distortion Mayhem SH-6 Humbucker Pair

DiMarzio

DP159 Evolution Bridge Pickup

Tone Zone Guitar Pickup

DP102 X2N Pickup

DP152 Super 3 Guitar Pickup

go to dimarzios website and answer a couple questions and they will have recommendations. ibanez needs to have dimarzio or its just not the same

I swear by dual EMG 85's in Ibanez's. The alnico magnet in the 85 sounds throaty, full, and warm compared to the sterilness of the 81 for a bridge position humbucker. But if you want to go passives I'd check out a Duncan Custom for the bridge and maybe an Alnico Pro II for the neck. I'm not a huge fan of Dimarzios...but then again a lot of people swear by them.

I put a dimarzio x2n in my basswood RG321 and I must say it is extremely bitching as well as EXTREMELY hot. I put a emg 81, 85 set in my RG520 and while they are cool im kind of getting sick of them. Im thinking about testing out a duncan blackout in the bridge. I would really recommend the x2n though.

the only experience i have with sd would be jeff becks and 59s. pretty cool but the beck was a little too gritty and yet still open. it wasnt full enough. it could have been the guitar they were in but i didnt really like it. now im totally satisfied with the dsonic. the 59s in the neck were cool but not in the same league as the air norton.

JB doesnt mean Jeff Beck. JB means Jazz/Blues.

There are no such things as 'Jeff Becks' unless you are talking about Fender Strats.

Here is a quote from Evan Skopp (VP of marketing at Seymour Duncan)

"Some folks call the JB the "Jeff Beck." And while there's an historical connection between the JB pickup and the man with those initials, any brand name connection is not coming from us... and never has."

Back