Choosing A Mesa; Advice Needed (Long)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_bechtel

Reaction score
Hey guys so long story short my name is Christopher and I'm a Mesaholic. I've owned a bunch of different Mesa / Boogie heads and rack pieces and whatnot over the years and I think that's the direction I'm heading now.

The last couple of years a combination of finances and the projects I was involved in lead me away from Mesa land and into many different places. Those projects are wrapping up and it's time to go home.

The only decision left is which Mesa to go with.

Here's a little background. I've owned an early two channel Dual Recto, a Mark IVb short head, a Mark IVa medium head, a three channel Dual Recto, a Rectoverb head, and a Triaxis / 2:90 rack rig. Each one had things about it that I liked more than another but I loved them all for different things. I currently have a Recto 4x12 with Vintage 30's I plan on using it with. I'm running a bone stock Ibanez S7420FM and hopefully an RG 7x21 for alt tunings.

I have a total budget of about $2400 give or take a hundred or so. Because my main rig currently is a Vetta II head and FBX I don't have any effects whatsover.

This is what I need tone wise: I need at least three channels live so I either have to go with a 3+ channel head or a multi head rig.

1. A solid clean tone. I'd love to have a great clean tone but a clean tone would be one of the first things I'd compromise on if I had to. I still need a decent one but I've been able to get a solid clean tone out of all my Mesa's. I liked the Mark IV's and Triaxis the best.

2. A heavy Recto Modern rhythm tone (think Petrucci pre TOT). This is the highest priority for me, I like other Mesa rhythm tones but this one is a must have. My older two channel had my favorite followed by the Rectoverb.

3. A creamy, liquid lead tone (think Petrucci pre TOT). This is a tough one. The lead tones I got on either of my Marks or the Triaxis rig were the **** but I don't know if I want to go with a multi head setup again. I could live with the Vintage mode on a Recto.

I'm light on effects generally, but would love to have a chorus, delay, and maybe a little verb. This also has to fit into the budget but is the lowest on my priority list. I've done rack and pedals in the past and wouldn't mind either one.

So these are the choices I'm looking at. I know I'll be going used and don't mind waiting and hunting for a bargain.

Rig #1 Mesa Roadking

I've heard a lot about these but never tried one. I love the versatility and could actually put all the features it has to good use. The hard decision is to go with a Road King I and have some money left over for effects, or go with a new Road King II and blow the whole wad. Are the improvements in the new version II worth the extra money?

Rig #2 Mesa Three Channel Dual Recto or Mark IV with effects

Each has it's strengths and I loved each of them for what they were. If I had to choose between them I would go with the Recto though.

Rig #3 Multihead. Mark III or IV and a Rectoverb or Dual

I went there before and the headache was a pain. Setting it up is a pain in the *** but the tones were incredible. This one also would take effects out of the budget.

So, any thoughts or ideas? Comments? Advice? What would you do and why? Thanks men!

Welcome back!! The first thing that came to mind if progressive linkage isn't an issue was the Roadster.I'm still lovin' the cleans, the tweed,and the Recto channels.You could easily find one used in your budget range and have money for effects.Also on the Roadster in the channel strips you can turn effects on/off for each channel.It also has killer built in reverb from the Lonestar and 50/100watt per channel selection. I recommed this considering you could live with vintage recto mode.Again welcome home brother!!!!!!

Thanks for the suggestions. Does the Roadster have the fancy new Lonestar cleans like the Road King II?

chris_bechtel said:
Hey guys so long story short my name is Christopher and I'm a Mesaholic. I've owned a bunch of different Mesa / Boogie heads and rack pieces and whatnot over the years and I think that's the direction I'm heading now.

The last couple of years a combination of finances and the projects I was involved in lead me away from Mesa land and into many different places. Those projects are wrapping up and it's time to go home.

Here's a little background. I've owned an early two channel Dual Recto, a Mark IVb short head, a Mark IVa medium head, a three channel Dual Recto, a Rectoverb head, and a Triaxis / 2:90 rack rig. Each one had things about it that I liked more than another but I loved them all for different things. I currently have a Recto 4x12 with Vintage 30's I plan on using it with. I'm running a bone stock Ibanez S7420FM and hopefully an RG 7x21 for alt tunings.

I have a total budget of about $2400 give or take a hundred or so. Because my main rig currently is a Vetta II head and FBX I don't have any effects whatsover.

This is what I need tone wise: I need at least three channels live so I either have to go with a 3+ channel head or a multi head rig.

1. A solid clean tone. I'd love to have a great clean tone but a clean tone would be one of the first things I'd compromise on if I had to. I still need a decent one but I've been able to get a solid clean tone out of all my Mesa's. I liked the Mark IV's and Triaxis the best.

2. A heavy Recto Modern rhythm tone (think Petrucci pre TOT). This is the highest priority for me, I like other Mesa rhythm tones but this one is a must have. My older two channel had my favorite followed by the Rectoverb.

3. A creamy, liquid lead tone (think Petrucci pre TOT). This is a tough one. The lead tones I got on either of my Marks or the Triaxis rig were the sh!t but I don't know if I want to go with a multi head setup again. I could live with the Vintage mode on a Recto.

I'm light on effects generally, but would love to have a chorus, delay, and maybe a little verb. This also has to fit into the budget but is the lowest on my priority list. I've done rack and pedals in the past and wouldn't mind either one.

So these are the choices I'm looking at. I know I'll be going used and don't mind waiting and hunting for a bargain.

Rig #1 Mesa Roadking

I've heard a lot about these but never tried one. I love the versatility and could actually put all the features it has to good use. The hard decision is to go with a Road King I and have some money left over for effects, or go with a new Road King II and blow the whole wad. Are the improvements in the new version II worth the extra money?

Each has it's strengths and I loved each of them for what they were. If I had to choose between them I would go with the Recto though.

I went there before and the headache was a pain. Setting it up is a pain in the *** but the tones were incredible. This one also would take effects out of the budget.

So, any thoughts or ideas? Comments? Advice? What would you do and why? Thanks men!

Im thinking RK . But if you go multihead you may want to figure a Stiletto and Mk IV . Stilettos are definately not Rectoish . Voiced much different . I love them though .

if you got the money, the road king 2 by all accounts i've heard has everything you listed. the best cleans (lonestar) and a heavy recto tone similar to the older 2channels in that it has clarity and no fizz. i think its worth the extra money and it's what i'd buy if i was in the market

Can the RKII achieve similar (I know exactly is impossible) tone to a Mark II C+?

If you have that much to spend, I would go with getting a used 2 channel dual recto and a used MarkIV, you can probaly get them for about $2200 and still have $200 to play with.

Used 2 channel recs go for about $1000
Used Mark IV's go anywhere between $1000 and $1200.

With this set up you will have the best of all worlds!

chris_bechtel said:

3. A creamy, liquid lead tone (think Petrucci pre TOT). This is a tough one. The lead tones I got on either of my Marks or the Triaxis rig were the sh!t but I don't know if I want to go with a multi head setup again. I could live with the Vintage mode on a Recto.

Rig #1 Mesa Roadking

Hello Christopher,

here's something to consider if you're planning on keeping your vetta head.
I currently own a Mark IV A short head and a Vetta Head. I'm using the latter as an effects unit by dialing in the bypass preamp model on both channels. I plug the guitar into the mark, come out of its effects send into the input of the vetta and then out the vetta's effect send back to the mark's effect return. I haven't noticed any degradation in tone.

I can then use the FBV floorboard to control volume, wah, turn effects on and off. I only use effects sparingly but they're all there if I need them. I also use the Mark's pedal for amp channel switching.

Granted, I could have gone out and purchased some effects and switching to control both the former and the amp channel switching but that would have cost alot. I've also heard that even though the vetta's are pretty expensive to purchase, their resale value isn't that great. I wasn't ready to take the double whammy financially.

An additional benefit with the vetta is that I have a backup amp. Ok it's digital but it will get me through the night if the Mark goes down.

As for Mesa's, you've got more experience than I do. Over the years, leaving aside the other companies, I've tried a Triple Rec, Rectoverb, Lonestar and finally settled on the Mark IV. I play in a Classic Rock and R&B band and the Mark gives me the tonal variety I need. I've read alot of postings on the Vintage era amp forum where people are saying that they get some of the tones that you're looking for from a Mark.

Take care, Michel

take a look at the roadster! it's the same of a Road King II but without progressive linkage! Or, if you want the Road King, absolutely get the II which has great cleans.

I would have to also say to look into the Roadster if you would like a little money to have left to play with for some effects.

Back