Choosing a chorus pedal

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarnine

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently purchased a MkIV and i'm interested in purchasing a quality chorus
pedal to get those shimmery cleans (think "pull me under"-DT.....and cleans on metallica and justice album) to name a few....I'm not interested in rack gear would like to power the pedal using a vodoo labs pedal power 2 supply, would also like a true bypass pedal that does not color sound or cut/boost the signal when on. I have heard good things about:

DLS chorus-vibe
Analogman clone
HBE thc chorus
Fulltone Choralflange
any recommendations based on ownership or experience of the above pedals or with seeking the above tones would be great.

Another vote for the Visual Sound H20. Every chorus effect you could want and the added bonus of a an echo effect as well that allows me to handle all my delay needs as well. Great pedal.

guitarnine...the Fulltone ChoralFlange is an excellent pedal with many different sounds available. Mine is for sale...brand new in the box, pm me if you're interested. I have two, and I only need one, so this one has to go.

Well, i scored a Homebrew elec. three hounds chorus off the bay, i'll post some feedback when i get it. thanks for the recommendations.

I use three types of chorus.

I have an old Ibanez Digital Chorus (poo poo digital technology all you want. I often do, but I love the sound of this pedal. It is the only digital pedal I use)

a Scholz Rockman Delay/Chorus unit that I mostly use for Delay but sometime switch over to it's rich analog chorus sound.

a Motion Sound SR-112 rotating speaker that gives a great Frampton sounding chorus warble mixed in with my regular speaker.

I saw in Guitar Player a couple months ago that someone had done a pedal that is very similar to the old Boss TE chorus. That was the standard back in the day and a **** fine sounding chorus.

I use and strongly recommend a Fulltone Choralflange.

It replaced my TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger...and that was a really good one. The Fulltone is just better in my opinion.

RB

Rocktron tsunami (first edition if possible). its a bit big but it leaves nothing wanting, very versitile/flexible/

dragging this up again because i am interested in the same.

i was thinking of the
boss ce-2
EH poly-chorus

HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone tried the new Digitech CF-7 Chorus Factory?

This pedal supposedly emulates 7 different chorus pedals including the Fulltone Choralflange. Haven't seen it hit the stores yet in Boston.

If it does a decent job, I would go for it instead of buying multiple pedals.

Ive tried the EH but the taiwanese editions seem a bit more watered down than the USA version Cobain used, go 2nd hand and American if you go this route.

I've been searching for a great chorus pedal as I've been switching to a pedalboard from TC Electronic rack gear (which has awesome chorus).

You have to figure out though whether or not you prefer vintage analog chorus or modern chorus. The former has an obvious phaser/flanger element to the tone, like in the BOSS CE-1, for example. Modern chorus uses short delay circuits to generate the effect and create chorus without the phase sound.

For classic chorus, I like the Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus a lot -- if you're after the vintage Andy Summers/Police tone, it's right there. But I really prefer the LA Sound -- using chorus in my distortion, etc., and the vintage style chorus units end up sounding a bit too much like a flanger when mixed with high-gain tone.

For that, you might try the BOSS CE-5, but I finally found the pedal that I think I'm falling in love with... the Rocktron Deep Blue (I'm in the middle of reviewing it for MusicPlayers.com and think I've found "the" chorus for me). It's just so embarassingly inexpensive, it makes you think "how can it be so good?" but it's very smooth and sounds great with or without distortion. My testing isn't complete yet, though. I still have to focus on sound quality issues such as noise levels next during my testing to see if the circuit is as good as my initial impression, and to make sure my instrument tone isn't getting messed up by the buffered circuit, etc...

my turn to resurrect this thread.

I'm caught between choosing:

DLS Ultra Chorus II
TC Electronic SCF
Fulltone Choral Flange
RedWitch Empress Chorus

Anything you may have to say for or against let it rip please. (I really want to know the negatives mostly.)

It seems they all run at about $300. If you have an opinion on what I may have overlooked, let me know.

I'm caught between choosing:

DLS Ultra Chorus II
TC Electronic SCF
Fulltone Choral Flange
RedWitch Empress Chorus

Anything you may have to say for or against let it rip please. (I really want to know the negatives mostly.)

This is a GREAT team...also check out the Analogman clone, or the Retro-Sonic.
For the $$, I went with the DLS Ultra II- warm, 2 settings on tap, you have 5 internal trim pots to customize the sound as needed, plays friendly with Mesa and can produce nearly any chorus sound you want (except of course "crappy digital")....
I personally rate the Retro Sonic and Redwitch right behind the DLS.
YMMV-

Laskyman

Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus here.....

when purchased, I was A/B 'ing the Electro-Harmonix Small Clone... The sound from the small clone was a little brighter than the Voodoo Lab, which in turn the Voodoo Lab was more of a natural tone...

...but the sound techie stated that the RedWitch Empress Chorus was also good...but they did not carry it in stock....

I thank you gentlemen.

One feature that stands out as something I really WOULD use and count on and appreeciate is the dual channel feature. I do like to use two distinctly different forms. I have spent all of my years bending over to do it so I could continue to do this so I won't let it be my deciding factor BUT it is nice to consider. I wonder if the show will show any new ones. (I think it's call NAMM or like that) and it going on now I think... any heads up on a new realease? I might do a bit of googling to find out more...

Latest posts

Back