Chevelle's tone.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneyc4

Reaction score
Is pure MARK IV?

I am in love with Pete's tone.

Will a Mark IV and a Stiletto Slant cab be overtight?

Is the new album rectifier? I saw him using one live on Fuse, but his tone sucked.....

I'd really be surprised if the new album is rectifier....and disappointed :?

And I do agree...I believe the baritone guitars are a HUGE part of his tone....

I have a 7 string with a 26.5 scale (almost baritone) and through my Mark IV I can nail every chevelle tone with ease.

I just saw them live (prior to their gear being stolen :( ) and he had his two Mark IV's.

would a mark iv and a stilleto slant cab be overkill in tightness?

barneyc4 said:

Not sure on that, I'd have to say I doubt it though. You can always loosen up the feel of the amp in that case. I run a makeshift 4x12 (ace 2x12 cab and 2x12 recto) and it sounds perfect

I don't think you can overkill on tightness....it's easy to loosen tone...tightening it is another story.

You know...I have been tuning down to dropped "B" and dropped "A" for a really looooong time. Most guys try to "add" too much low end with their gear choices or pick-ups. But in reality. what works best is lower output pickups and an amp that does not over accentuate the lows like a 3 channel dual rec or the oversized cabs. The three channel oversized cab combination is way too rumbley and steps all over the bass player's frequencies. You get mud in the lows when you have too many elements in your signal that enhance that 80hz/60hz range...not to mention its a NIGHTMARE to track in the studio.

So to answer your question...no it can not be "over-tight" with that set up. In fact my next amp is that exact set-up, a Mark IV with a trad cab. When playing loudly in dropped B with my PRS I got incredibly clear-tight lows. I use 11-70 gage strings and have no problems with the action or playability. I also get great sounds in that tunning from my Carvin Vai. It has all the chunky gain as say a 5150 but a lot less of that super low frequency. The end result is monsterously tight and aggressive sounds and really percussive lows ..no farting. (taking Beano helps my tone tremendously)

Lastly I use a Duncan '59 in the PRS which is considered a lower output pickup. So rolling back my volume will keep the notes clear and almost jangley. You can hear diminished chords or major 6...whatever, even with a lot of gain. I think thats how good tone should be in that tunning.

Beano...a guitar players best friend!

...ibanezforlife...
I just got one of those planet waves tunners...THEY RULE! I love it! I am gonna get another one for my other rig's pedal board! I can't stand my boss white tunner pedal...I know everyone has one but the planet waves one just feals chunky and rugged...not to mention it's true bypass.

i've seen chevel a bunch of times and every time its been 2 rackmount mark ivs..... even in the new video off the new album there are 2 mark ivs.... basically this setup from the mesa site...http://www.mesaboogie.com/gallery_artist/art_gall.php?id=80

although i have to say ive been nailing his tones on my roadster using channel 3 on vintage..... here are the settings

Channel 3
Vintage Mode
100 watt
6L6s
output 3-4
volume 12
presence 2
bass 2
mid 11
treble 2:30
gain 12-12:30

I use a ESP Eclipse Deluxe with EMG 81s and a Basson 2x12 with Eminence Legends 125.... i use a little bit of reverb also just to add a little ambiance

vitor gracie said:
You know...I have been tuning down to dropped "B" and dropped "A" for a really looooong time. Most guys try to "add" too much low end with their gear choices or pick-ups. But in reality. what works best is lower output pickups and an amp that does not over accentuate the lows like a 3 channel dual rec or the oversized cabs. The three channel oversized cab combination is way too rumbley and steps all over the bass player's frequencies. You get mud in the lows when you have too many elements in your signal that enhance that 80hz/60hz range...not to mention its a NIGHTMARE to track in the studio.

So to answer your question...no it can not be "over-tight" with that set up. In fact my next amp is that exact set-up, a Mark IV with a trad cab. When playing loudly in dropped B with my PRS I got incredibly clear-tight lows. I use 11-70 gage strings and have no problems with the action or playability. I also get great sounds in that tunning from my Carvin Vai. It has all the chunky gain as say a 5150 but a lot less of that super low frequency. The end result is monsterously tight and aggressive sounds and really percussive lows ..no farting. (taking Beano helps my tone tremendously)

Lastly I use a Duncan '59 in the PRS which is considered a lower output pickup. So rolling back my volume will keep the notes clear and almost jangley. You can hear diminished chords or major 6...whatever, even with a lot of gain. I think thats how good tone should be in that tunning.

Beano...a guitar players best friend!

What model PRS do you have? Did you have to do a lot of adjustment to fit the 11's properly for them to intonate well? Mine never stays in tune anything past C with 10's on it.

barneyc4 said:
I had that setup and it is not overkill in tightness. The Stiletto cab is perfect for the Mark IV but I was also wanting to sell it at the time because I wanted the Orange 4x12 but that was just GAS. If I were to ever go back to a halfstack it would be the Mark IV and Stiletto straight cab for sure. :arrow:

pjrake said:
pete uses a sans amp GT2 pedal.

Only for that really sputtery over the top sound on a few tracks/places in songs, his core tone is all Mark IV.

I did'nt know he's using a baritone PRS? If so, custom order? Private stock? The latest video shows a Custom 22! A live DVD I have features some Custom 24's! They're just tuned down, and strung with heavier strings, as far as I thought! Again, I've never heard of him using PRS baritone guitars, of which they've only made like one that I've ever heard of?

read this link

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=97705&src=3SOSWXXA

This is straight from the interview.....

Guitar.com: And what kind of guitars?

Loeffler: I have a bunch of PRS guitars that I use live, mostly 24-fret models. They're making me a baritone right now, which is gonna be kick ***! I used a baritone - one of three that they've made - on just about every song on the new record. It's the only guitar I used on every song.

Guitar.com: Is it your guitar?

Loeffler: No, it's actually Jeff Lanahan's. He's the Artist Relations guy at PRS. He loaned it to me for the record. He wants it back, but I'm not going to give it back until he gives me my new one! (laughs).

He also used a Fender Strat Baritone (or two or three????) on Vena Sera

When the band got their **** stolen the guitars were listed on the internet....

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/roadiejobs/vpost?id=1883908

Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 Gold Guitar serial # 837769
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 Black Guitar serial #160399
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 Red Guitar serial #730083
PRS Chevelle Signature White Guitar W/ Red "x" logo inlay fret marks serial #597526
PRS Custom White Baritone Guitar
PRS Custom 24 Red Guitar

Lately, Pete's also gone to Fender Sub-Sonic Baritones with swapped out bridge pickups (couldn't make out what they were).

This is for his dropped B stuff.

I imagine this is because he can get a Fender Baritone for about a grand, whereas the PRSi baritones are Artist Relations, and probably run in 10 grand territory (last I checked - cuz you better believe I want one!!!)

I know he records with the PRSi, but gigs with the Fenders.

Most of his dropped D and C is still the PRSi.

And yes - as of a few months ago, before it was all stolen - it was still just the two MarkIV's.

As far as I've ever heard or read (haven't talked to the Chevelle guys in a LONG time) - he still records mainly with his MarkIV's.

i believe some of their songs were recorded on a recto like "The Red" and if i recall correctly when i saw them when that album first came out he was had 1 mark iv and 1 recto on stage with him.... that was when they were on the side stage at ozzfest.... since then i've only seen him with the mark ivs

Latest posts

Back