Checking out a used Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backlash

Reaction score
Hi all - new guy here.
Just wanted to say hello and ask a question.
Since the early 90ies I've wanted a Mark IV and now I got one within reach. I'm going to check it out this weekend and my question is - is there anything I should be aware of? I will of course play it and check switches and pots - but is there anything else?
Thanks - Peter

hey dude. Umm apart from the usual can't think of much. Just tubes if it's not new.

And also depends what music you play, do you know how all the push pull stuff works?
If you want something heavy, Lead gain 7pulled, treble 7.5, Lead drive 7pulled Bass 2 (compensate with the GEQ) mids 5, presence 3pushed, thats my settings anyway XD
Go nuts, best amp ever, you will love it!

I'd recommend going to the Mesa website and d/l ing the manual. It has some settings to start out with that are decent. They may not be what everybody likes but I think everybody here would agree you will not have time to explore all the Mk 4 possiblities on a test drive. The incredible versatility of this amp comes with a price. There are many bad sounds you can get as well. If you play one briefly that is not set up well you might get a false impression.

Aw hell just buy the amp! You're gonna love it once you get to know it!

Ps Find out if it's an A or a B.
Then you'll have an idea of how old the caps are.

Thanks for help guys its really appreciated. I am familiar though with the sound and the possibilities of the amp. I was just wondering if there were any special quirks that I should be aware of when testing a used model.
Thanks again, Peter

Push and pull all the pots. Twist all the knobs. Flick all the switches. Make sure nothing is loose.

I almost bought a Mark IV from GC until I noticed one of the pots wouldn't pull out. Someone else ended up buying it before they fixed it. I don't know if the buyer ever checked the knob.

Didn't see anything on this - but, I would say that a VERY important point is to blast away and make certain the speaker is good, without rattles, distortion. Also, LOOK at the speaker and ensure it is a bona fide Boogie sort of speaker, not a replacement that is weak or inadequate. Mine has the EVM 12" 200W Electrovoice, but I know that some have the Celestions, etc. There is a huge difference in Good vs marginal speakers.

Latest posts

Back