Check out my MKIII combo bargain!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithus77

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a new Boogie owner and a new member to this board - which I can say is brilliant. I've certainly learned a lot from here.

Here are some pics for you all to enjoy of my little MKIII combo. I think I've got it at a bargain price of $500 (Australian dollars) from a pawn shop who clearly had no idea about amps let alone Boogies! I think it was a steal - what do you guys think?

http://img55.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mkiii4yc.jpg
http://img234.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mkiii39gz.jpg

As you can see from the pics, its well worn. But the sound - wow, seriously why did I even bother with Marshall? It sounds so good. I can get a great Fender Twin sound from R1 and it nails Metallica (Master of Puppets etc). Also everything in between can be dialed in too.

The reverb tank is toast - so that's why its out of the amp, but I think I can get a replacement for under $50. I also need one little EQ slider thingy - I have no idea where I could get one in Australia. Any ideas?

I didn't come with any footswitches, but I had bought the Mesa/Boogie Rhythm/Lead switch from the same store about 12 months earlier for about 9 bucks or something equally crazy! It's probably the original one for this amp anyway.

The light on the front of my MKIII is pink (lol) and it's a blue stripe version. Any ideas what the singature thingy under the power cord is?

http://img55.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mkiii22ee.jpg

It's also the 60 watt version - I'm currently running 2 EL34s in it - although I have read on this board that it's meant to run 6L6s. I beleive (and the Boogie manual says it also) that you can run EL34s if you want to. I think it has an EV speaker. Check out the pic.

http://img55.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mkiii44zm.jpg

So tell me what you think of my amp - i.e. price, features, anything you might know about it.

Cheers,

Keith

P.S. As my first post, let me know if the images dont work. Thanks.

LOL screamingdaisy.

Yeah I think they didn't know what they had. On my side was the fact that the amp wouldn't output in the shop. I guessed the power tubes were ancient and so - took a chance, cause they wouldn't let me bring it back - and took it home. I threw in some EL34s I had and - viola! - it worked and sounds freakin great.

Well done,
Why doesn't this sort of thing happen to me? I've haunted pawn shops for years, and all they ever seem to have is 80s solid state Peaveys, clapped out Boss pedals and no-name Korean strat copies.

I paid AU$850 for my MkIII here in Brisbane 5 years ago, and I thought I was getting a steal then. AND, mine has no EQ (but is also the 60 watt version).

I'm not sure if you're meant to run EL34s in an unmodded 60w amp. What you've read is probably relating to the 100w Simulclass amps that can take 4 6L6s or 2 6L6s and 2 EL34s. Mine was modded some years ago with a switch that lets me run EL34's.

If you like, I'll buy it off you for $750. Instant 50% return on investment!
Cheers,
Matt

Thanks for the reply Matt,

I've read in the MkIII Boogie manual that running EL34s wont hurt the Boogie - but maybe I interpreted this wrong.

Is there anything that could happen if I continue to run EL34s intead of 6L6s? What would be the major change in tone if I change over to 6L6s? I get a great Metallica MoP sound already...I'd hate to give that up...

As for the bargain...the store had the amp originally at $1700. The one day I walked in and saw it at $550. I asked about it and they said it didn't work and needed about $1000 worth of work done to it. (Yeah, right I thought). I figured the main problem would be the tubes - and even then for that price a Boogie that didn't work would be worth more. So I jumped at the chance.

Thanks for the offer Matt, but I'm keeping it. :) I don't think I'll ever see a Boogie for cheaper. I've always dreamed of a MkIV but for the price and considering the MkIII realistically does almost what the MkIV does I think I have found my main amp. My Marshalls are now gathering dust...:)

Keith

I don't think the EL34's in a 60 watt is a good idea... Should get 6L6.
Again, this is a bargain in the US, but down under, it's an incredible deal!
Good luck!
ax. 8)

The EL 34 should only be used in the outer sockets on the simul-class model. The 60w model that you have should have 2 6L6 unless it´s been modded. I would change tubes because even though it works it could damage something in the long run.

The signature (MB) below the power cord stands for Mike Bendinelli (spelling?), the head tech at boogie at the time. he used to sign all the amps this way.

Great price, enjoy your amp!

Here mine. Red stripe, fully loaded. I paid about 8000 swedish crowns (800$) for it.

100_0039.jpg

100_0049.jpg

Hi Bullen,

Thanks for the tube advice. I was thinking of putting in Svetlana 'Winged C' 6L6s. What do you think? Any other recommendations?

I love the hardwood cabinet on your Boogie. I am thinking of restoring mine. It pretty much needs new knobs (have no idea where to get these), new reverb tank, and I think a hardwood cabinet would look so nice.

Maybe its possible to make one?

Keith

Guys,

While I think of it, does anyone have any info on the mod you can to to allow the 60 watt MkIII to run EL34s?

I've heard that with 6L6s it doesn't sound as tight. Is this right? Can someone explain the tone difference between the two power tubes?

Thanks.

Keith

You should run the tubes that you're supposed to, due to the excessive heater current draw that the EL34's have...they draw TWICE the current as a 6L6. I'll be some mods were made to the circuit in your amp to accomodate the EL34's

You can get a replacement reverb tank from Antique Electronics Supply

keithus77 said:
Guys,

While I think of it, does anyone have any info on the mod you can to to allow the 60 watt MkIII to run EL34s?

I've heard that with 6L6s it doesn't sound as tight. Is this right? Can someone explain the tone difference between the two power tubes?

Thanks.

Keith

6L6s generally have a more open feel with a more top end sizle and a deeper bottom that thumps when muting.

EL34s generally have a more compressed feel with more midrange that barks when you mute.

The reason that some people feel that EL34s are tighter is because they don't know how to turn down the bass knob when using 6L6s.

But what's important is that you put the correct tubes in that amp.

Cool. Thanks for the help. I'll get some 6l6s this week. I was thinking of Svetlana 'Winged C' 6L6s, although a lot of people on this board seem to like JJs.

Any suggestions/comments?

keithus77 said:
Cool. Thanks for the help. I'll get some 6l6s this week. I was thinking of Svetlana 'Winged C' 6L6s, although a lot of people on this board seem to like JJs.

Any suggestions/comments?

I've only used the normal Svets, but I've told the SEDs are better. I like them because they're very harmonically rich. The JJs are smoother sounding and bleed off alot of top end.....some people call that "loosing the fizzyness", others call it "throwing a blanket on your tone".

I currently have a mixture of JJs and EHX in the preamp, and EHX and Svetlana in the power amp. After trying the JJ preamp tubes I'd really like to give their 6L6 power tubes a shot (not really interested in their EL34s).

Just opened up my amp - looks like it was made in '89.

Inside its bloody filthy though. What's the best way to clean it? That air spray stuff?

Know of anywhere in Australia where you can buy replacement knobs and EQ sliders?

Latest posts

Back