Chasing Tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henz

Staff member
Reaction score
Greetings! I'm 65 and STILL chasing tone. I'm sitting here reminiscing to myself of my younger years when playing and searching for a different sound was so much easier. I wud pop in a new pup and Cool!. As the years rolled by, I found myself going down so many rabbit holes. Tubes, mods,.... and on and on. Now, I've come to the conclusion that ,imo, here are the things that affect tone. In no particular order. Your fingers, plectrum, pickups, speakers , and speaker cabs. And throw in a fresh new set of strings. Those rabbit holes can be hard to get out of. Some ppl tube roll, which I am guilty of, and analyze differences. Some play with mods. But I think simplicity it where it starts . Ty for my stand at the podium! Rock On!!

have been lucky enough for a few years now to do some recording with pro engineers on both mine and other ppl's projects, and some engineering of my own guitar tracks when working on a couple of records remotely.

that was the first thing that changed my guitar life, I stopped caring what I heard in the room at the moment and embraced that what matters is what comes out of the PA or how the master mix sounds.

second thing was having enough cash on hand to get into amp flipping big time during the pandemic, got to play almost every amp I'd wanted to try and now I don't GAS anymore

third thing was getting a fractal on a trade and discovering that the 10 per cent decrease in playing satisfaction was absolutely worth the 200 per cent increase in quality-of-life when playing outside my own studio and sometimes even in it.

have been lucky enough for a few years now to do some recording with pro engineers on both mine and other ppl's projects, and some engineering of my own guitar tracks when working on a couple of records remotely.

that was the first thing that changed my guitar life, I stopped caring what I heard in the room at the moment and embraced that what matters is what comes out of the PA or how the master mix sounds.

second thing was having enough cash on hand to get into amp flipping big time during the pandemic, got to play almost every amp I'd wanted to try and now I don't GAS anymore

third thing was getting a fractal on a trade and discovering that the 10 per cent decrease in playing satisfaction was absolutely worth the 200 per cent increase in quality-of-life when playing outside my own studio and sometimes even in it.
That's a great story. Ty for sharing. One thing that I never had the opportunity to play through was a modeler. Don't know if that's a good or bad thing. I never jumped on that wagon with the IR' s and such. I do hear good things about it.

Back