Channel volume question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ytsejammer777

Reaction score
On my Mark V I've always noticed that channel 2 always seems much louder than 1 or 3.

Today I ran my AxeFx into the effects return, using the Mark strictly as a power amp.

I turned the channel master on all channels to 0. As an experiment I played trough the amp
using different channels. I would think that there should be no difference as the preamp channels are not being used. That is not the case. When channel 2 is engaged , the amp is MUCH louder.
Sonically, the AxeFx sounds different as well depending on which preamp channel is selected.

All channels are on 90 watts and are using diode.

So why such a drastic difference when i am completely bypassing the preamp section?
Is this normal?

I notice the same types of differences when running my Eleven Rack into the Effects Return of my Mark V. I attribute it to each of the channels (especially channel 3 with pentode vs. triode) being tuned a bit differently as far as the power amp is concerned.

I'm not sure that the Effects Return is truly bypassing the preamp either for me, because if I have the Mark V set to channel 2 or 3, I can hear a bit of distortion coming through even if I have a clean patch selected on my Eleven Rack.

jc986 said:
I'm not sure that the Effects Return is truly bypassing the preamp either for me, because if I have the Mark V set to channel 2 or 3, I can hear a bit of distortion coming through even if I have a clean patch selected on my Eleven Rack.

If you're connected 4 cable, there is a slight amount of channel bleed that passes through the loop.

I've noticed the channel bleed as well. Glad to know I'm not alone.

What about the huge jump in channel 2 volume though... anyone experience that?

From the manual..

"The MARK V handles outboard processing by providing an on-board patch point between the preamp and power section. This loop is wired such that the dry signal is in series with the effected (wet) signal." I think the key word here is "between" it does not say after.

Latest posts

Back