Channel Cloning on a 2ch DR

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clutch71

Reaction score
Anyone understand this? I've read the Manual but still don't get it.

Here's what I've found so far...

Orange Channel set to Variable Hi Gain and Red Set to Modern gives the best "Vintage" sound. Took me from June until last week to find this setting and I love it!

Draw back: No clean channel. I can tame the now "red" channel by setting the gain 9 o'clock and rolling the volume back on my guitar a little. Other wise I have a "Vintage" setting or 'Modern" setting, both High Gain.

With the Orange channel set to Clean and Red channel set to Modern. I get a great Modern sound that I love!

Draw backs: None really, good clean or great Modern tone.

Orange set to Clean and Red set to Vintage: Just seems stale to me. Kind of "fizzy" without punch and warmth of the "Vintage" sound I like. I'm interested if anyone else has noticed this? Both presence pots (red or orange) effect the tone.

Here's my settings for High Gain Saturation...Bold/Silicone diode, EL34's (at half power ie pulled 2 and 1 rectifier tube) Loop By passed. Volume at 9 (higher when the wife and kids aren't home :twisted: ) Presence 1, Bass 11, Mid 11, Treble 1, Gain 3 (rolled back as volume is raised)

Guitars: Gibson Flying V with 500t in Bridge 498 in neck. Squier strat SD Hotrails in Bridge. Stock Middle and Neck PUPS. Guitar>Chord>Amp.

The amp was gone over and a Grid Resistor was replaced but the amp checks out fine.

I'm interested in your thoughts on the matter and your experiences. Especially with attaining a good "Clean" and "Vintage" sound.

IMO this is the reason the 3ch DR was created. The manual for the 3ch even stipulates the the Vintage from ch2/3 is voiced differently.

I give a +1 to everything above...However, I've never experimented with setting the Red to Vintage and comparing it to Orange on Vintage, so I'll take your word on that one.

Channel cloning is a step above the Mark3 design where you had 3 channels and one set of knobs. Obviously the 3ch rect. does not have this problem. So, you take what you can get.

I hope to someday get an amp switching device where I can have this setup:
Orange ch Vintage, Red ch Modern

Mark2c+:
clean and Lead

The C+ would cover my cleans and solos and tight riffage, whereas the recto would cover the vintage sound and brutal distortion.

You have to compromise at some point with the 2ch rectifier, especially when playing live. The tone makes it worth it though!

Elpelotero! What's up! Please try the Orange Channel set to Clean and the Modern to Vintage and then swap it to Orange Variable High Gain and Red to Modern and let me know your findings. 339 is one of my favorite 2ch's I've played so, I'd be real curious.

My settings directly derive from playing that amp.

A TS808 outfront get's it close in sound to that revision fyi.

Looks like I won't be back down in Gvlle until after Thanksgiving.

Would like to hear from other 2ch and 3ch owners on this topic.

Back