Channel 2 cutting out intermittently

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikefinalapproach

Reaction score
This is intermittent but maddening. I switch to channel 2 and... nothing.... may cut in/out for a second. Later in the night, no problem. A week or two later, it cuts out again. A couple years ago I had a short cutting out channel 1 and this doesnt behave like that. In the previous case, it would "crackle" coming in and out and a light tap at the right place would make it happen. That was fixed.

In this case, it just silently goes in and out and no tapping anywhwere seems to have any affect. A few points:
-Began to occur a few weeks after I tool the amp out of the combo and racked it with effects.
-As part of that process I introduced a TC G-System using the jack in the back to switch channels
-I have taken it out of the rack, unplugged the G system, and using either the footswitch or the switch on the panel makes no difference
-I completely retubed the amp about 8 months ago (mesa brand tubes)

Today, working great but I know this will happen again.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If you do a search on the forum there will be some posts. Never happened to me, but I seem to remember Deoxit from Radioshack was a popular response. Spray on an cable and continuously insert it in your effects loop.

I could be way wrong, but for some reason I remember reading that on the boards. Maybe someone who knows can way int.

Thanks - good suggestion I tried it but no luck. I brought it to the local mesa authorized repair shop and, naturally, the intermittent problem doesn't occur when they try it. I believe it's something wrong with the switching. As I said, no crackling just I'll go to channel 2 and... no sound. I DO notice the light might flicker on the channel indicator (the green flickering on a bit) which suggests maybe its not fully switching sometimes??? The tech guy is going to plug it in tomorrow for one more try. He mentioned some part that apparently is involved in all the switching whether footswitch, toggle, or jack at back of amp and that there were problems with another Mesa model.

If this doesnt fix it, I'm just going to sell it to someone brave enough to tackle this.

I'm grateful for any suggestions or insights here.

Thank you!!

Mike

There is another possibility. Do you use the G-System to switch the channel and solo? If so, you may have damaged the switching system within the amp. G-System uses a shared rather than isolated ground for these inputs and apparently that can cause problems (i think I am saying that right).

It is recommended that you use an external switching system such as AmpGizmo at http://www.rjmmusic.com/ampgizmo.php

I could be completely wrong, but I am looking at buying a G-System for my LSC and this is one of the issues that you have to work around if you want to use full ampswitching.

D

Latest posts

Back