Changing transformer on roadster-roadking to Aussie Volts?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

animal

Reaction score
Was looking to purchase a mesa roadking or roadster in LA but was wondering what to do about the transformer as I live in Australia

I will be moving to canada eventually and would like to keep the original transformer but I heard using a step down transformer (240-110V) wont be that good either because of the different HZ in Australia (50hz compared to 60hz in the US) and it will decrease the life of the amp

Was thinking about getting a custom transformer from mercury magnets...its is possible to get an export transformer from mesa themselves?

I know alot of aussies bring back mesas from the states ...how do you deal with this problem?

If your in LA, why not call Mesa and order the export version of 561160 PT. Knowing Mesa it will probably be the 561161 Export transformer for the RK. I'm sure they have it in stock and could ship it to you or you could order it from the Hollywood store.

yeah thats probably the best idea,although I imported one from the states to the uk

the same problem,I needed a step down transformer to take the uk outlet voltage of 240 down to 110v,and also change the Hz(frequency)

I resulted in buying a external transformer from a company called newmarket transformers here in the uk,it is a 2000watt handeling one so it takes the dual rec no problem,great company and pretty cheap as well,£100,it has two outlets so in theory I can run two amps from it.

I would buy an external one if I were you if you are planing on moving to canada anyways

ohhh and my amp works great with this

thanks guys!

does the frequency really matter with the amp abroad? (50hz rather than 60Hz) I know alot of people bring these amps back home with them and dont have a problem :?

I contacted mesa but they wont sell the export transformer from the US so I guess i would have to buy it in Australia

mesanomad100, I am going to look into what i can buy in Australia to suit the amp!
J

hope all goes well for you man,Im not an electrician but Im sure that the difference in frequency will make a difference to the power transformer over time,Im not sure but the correlation between voltage and freq. shows that if the voltage is increased then the freq. decreases this would highlight to me that this will have to be dealt.If it was constant then I wouldnt bother but there seems to be something in it,I wouldnt muck around with it I wouldnt want to have a wrecked amp on my hands when I shouldnt really because I wasnt using the correct power

If that makes any sense,Im sure somebody on here will understand the affects the freq. will have on your amp,see boogiebabies he is the local forumite in the know,he is pretty badass when it comes to this ****!!!!

Hope that is any help at all :oops:

Back